1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washer Removal From Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I did something that I thought would be relative simple deal. My 2006 Fender 60th Anniversary Power Jazz Bass needed a little more truss rod tightening, so I did like I've done on others. I found the appropriate washer, dropped it down the heel shaft. So far so good. The washer appeared to be very thin, but it must have been thicker than I thought. I didn't have enough threads for the nut to start. Here's where the problem begins. I've tried several ways, but nothing will dislodge that washer from the thread shaft. I'm afraid that I'm going to booger the threads on ot and then be in a real jam. Any suggestions? :)

2. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    try to unscrew it off the threads. use a scribe or something else that is sharp and pointy, dig into it, and try to rotate it ccw.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Hmm. Bugger. Take the neck off. See if it’s wedged in and if you can move it with a pick. Don’t jam it in more!

If it’s loose and just hung up, hold it with the hole down and spank it with a rubber mallet on the back of the heel to see if you can dislodge it.

Another option is physics: get a CLEAN scrap of NEW linoleum and put it on the floor. Hold the neck butt about 6” high and drop it straight down on the lino; hold with both hands and Let it drop through ready to grab when it hits. Keep checking to see if it’s working it’s way out.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    From the problem you are describing I'm guessing there's a fair amount of relief even with the strings loose. If so, like @96tbird says, remove the neck and bend it into a back bow to extend the rod some, and get the nut started. Once you have that done, I think you'll be home free. Reassemble and restring, you should be okay. Lube the nut while you have it off. Turn the nut CCW until you hear/feel it click; stop; immediately reverse, turning it CW to catch the thread. If that is a Fender rod washer I wouldn't even concern myself with it, leave it there.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Try a honkin rare earth magnet. A lot of repair shops have them for clamping braces.

6. Honkin made me snicker. well played.

7. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    Would a really strong magnet get it loose, the kind that is telescopic you can find at a Auto parts store.