1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Washing a gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EvilVOG, Jan 10, 2012.

1. My Fender gig bag is pretty dirty from years of use, and basement storage and i want to clean it. But do i just throw it in the washing machine? Wash it by hand? Send it out for dry cleaning?

2. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I wash mine by hand in the big utility sink in my basement, let them drip dry for a bit, then hang over a mic stand to finish drying. Two days ago I discovered that a bag I thought had dried over a month ago was still wet, and had gotten water on my bass! The bass is okay, but the bag is back to hanging on a mic stand in the driest room of my house. Apparently the water got trapped in the bag's foam, so you might want to squeeze the foam parts with a towel.

3. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    If you can easily pull the foam out Simple Green/Oxy Clean presoak and the coin car wash. That is how I clean my skydiving gear and I like that a lot. Have a fan blowing on it to dry it, or the fastest and easiest way is the Dry Cleaner. They may charge you $10-20 at most I imagine.

4. Washing the gig bag is like washing the hockey bag. You will remove all the mojo-juju.

Do not wash the gig bag. Ever...

5. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011

6. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I wash my gig bags in the delicate cycle on the heavy dirt setting with all the zippers open. Then I run an extra spin cycle. I dry them by hanging them in the hot Texas sun. I never thought I'd be sharing laundry tips with you guys...how do you guys get your dingy whites gleaming again? Does anyone have a good potato salad recipe?

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    is that possible?

8. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    easy...just buy dark colors

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    agree with this ^^^ but for different reason.

Your gig bag is treated with water-repellant ---- throwing in the washer will strip the water repellant and make the bag ABSORBENT!! :eek:

10. I buy new ones. ;)
    On topic- I'd likely soak it(filthy gigbag)in Woolite or some such(I am a stay-at-home dad/housewife- laundry is a hobby of mine, unfortunately... :rollno:). My own gigbags are all fairly presentable- I usually wear them out before getting them too dirty.

11. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    Two years ago I inherited an incase gig bag. They stopped making these, which is a shame because they were very, very nice bags. Removable computer backpack, tons of storage, great padding, everything. The one given to me looked like it had been run through a compost heap for 6 years. I took it to the dry cleaners who had never had to do anything like it before. They consider it luggage, so as long as your dry cleaner can handle and regularly deals with luggage, I would take it to them and not bother doing it yourself. You'll never get all of the water out unless you have a dedicated dehumidifying room and mold will grow in the lining amongst other delights that leftover moisture causes. Do not wash your own gig bag - dry cleaners every time.

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    You can use Tuff Stuff or whatever is called,spray it on and with a damp cloth scrub and repeat as needed depending on how much dirt it has.I think it's probably the safest way,try it in a small area first just to be safe.