Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washington D.C. Guitar shops?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Razor, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm going to D.C. next month (first time going there) and I'd like to know of any nice Vintage Guitar Shops around the city.

Any recommendations?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The Guitar Shop 1216 Connecticut Ave.
    202-331-7333

It's a dive, but they have some really nice vintage stuff. I don't think all of it is kept there, so you may call ahead of time to arrange an appointment and/or see what they have in stock if you know what you're looking for.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Razor - you could check out Action Music in Arlington VA, and Atomic Music in College Park MD as well - not much bass stuff though.

And if you have "my" Buzzard with you, you'd BETTER swing by my place to show it off! =0)

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If it's the place I'm thinking of that's upstairs, I didn't have a good experience there. Maybe I didn't know the protocol there, but I found the place hot, dusty, cluttered, and claustrophobic. The service was pretty unspectacular . Maybe it was a bad day, I dunno.

They didn't have anything good on display. If you want something in particular, you have to ask for it and I believe they have to fetch it from somewhere. However this is supposedly THE place for vintage stuff.

There's Classic Axe out in Manassas, but I dunno how much vintage stuff they have. I haven't been to Atomic Music yet, but I hear great things about the place.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think "Classic Axe" has much in the way of vintage stuff, but do a google search and call them. That happens to be my personal favorite local shop, I've bought two basses and a really nice practice amp from Russ over the years. My brother has bought umpteen guitars.... Come to think of it, my amp ('67 Blackface Bassman) came from Classic Axe so maybe he does have some vintage stuff.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is the place and I have the same experience every time I walk in there (about once a year). Poor service, a bit short and snobby, and like someones dusty attic. They had a 75 and 78 jazz there recently, but like you said, they apparently keep most of their inventory somewhere else. I think appointment is the way to go and they bring stuff in from where ever they store it.

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
  8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Jive, isn't there a nice little bass shop in VA, right outside of DC someone should mention? What's the name of that place again, Jivesound or something? ; )

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Garrett Park Guitars in Annapolis (40 miles from DC) has some nice vintage guitars. Not many basses usually, but worth a call. I played a used Roscoe there once.

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Guess, so.

Check out my sig.

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Jive, do you have any vintage stuff?

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Umm.........does a few years old count?

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Chuck Levin's is the place to go in general.

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Thanks for the info everybody...Hopefully I'll be able to find something from what yall have provided!!

And Dave....I can't say that the Bird will make the trip. Calzone still hasn't gotten my roadcase to me for her yet and I just don't think she'll be small enough for carry-on!! :D

I will, however...make it a point to have some very nice pic's for you and hopefully you'll be free for a meet while I'm around your neck of the woods!

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    First off.....sorry about not swinging by and seeing ya Dave!!

I just got back into town from my D.C. trip and I am pretty overwhelmed by the trip.

First time that far north and I found D.C. to be a really awesome place. I was there for a solid 3 days and spent most of my time walking and seeing historical sites. I honestly think that for a history buff such as myself I would need years to see everything the way I want to. 3 days just wasn't enough time to do a small fraction of it!!

I was able to spend time at the Air/Space museum, Native American museum, Holocaust memorial (still reeling from that..very humbling and troubling), walked most of Arlington cemetary and walked the WWII and Vietnam memorial. I also toured the Washington monument and got within a couple of blocks of the White House before being politely "asked" to leave by a small force of Secret Servc. Ofcr's.

To be honest, I was very surprised at the quality of food I found. Being from the South I have always been pretty biased that my region has the best food anywhere...well I can't say that anymore. I ate at Old Ebbit's (pretty sure that's the name) and it was awesome!!

I was also very, very impressed by the authentic Native American food that I had at the museum...that was a real highlight.

All in all, the trip was great, I just wish I would have had more time....I will be back though and hopefully then I can meet some of you guys and see some of the music shops.

D.C., across the river in Virginia, and the area I saw getting to BWI airport was a great experience. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice on my trip.

17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A Washington landmark. That was a Good Place to eat.