1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washington DC area/Northern Virginia teacher?

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by casualmadness, Dec 10, 2018.

1. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    Hi all,
    I'm a longtime electric bass player but only recently decided that I want to learn to play the double bass. I live in northern Virginia and am looking for a local teacher. I want to learn jazz, bluegrass, classical, finger picking, bowing, sightreading, etc. I just want to be able to "play" this strange new instrument.
    I've done a search through the forums and couldn't find anything recent. I've also searched online and found a couple local teachers who's schedules do not cooperate with mine. So I thought I would check here. I'm a complete beginner on double bass.

Thanks for any recommendation.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Kris Funn is out there but I'm not sure if he's giving lessons.

3. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

4. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    I've been talking to Glenn. I don't think his schedule is going to work with mine unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  5. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Donovan Stokes and Inez Wyrick are top notch.

6. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Victor Dvoskin
    Silver Spring
    301 938 2282

7. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've sent messages to everyone suggested and am awaiting replies. I hope I can find a teacher!

8. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Old Musician, New to UB! Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    Did you find anyone?

If not, and I am not sure how far you are willing to drive, but Bob Kurz from Bob's House of Basses in Bowie, Maryland teaches. He is principle bass player for the National Philharmonic. Just walking into his shop is worth coming up to Bowie on its own. :D

9. +1 on Bob but that's a haul from NoVA even when it's not rush hour. I'd recommend Paul Denola (NSO) who's in Arlington near the East Falls Church Metro. It'd be Classical instruction, but IMHO for a new DB player it's the best instruction to get the technical fundamentals for the other styles. He teaches a modern technique, a la Rabbath/Vance/Quarrington. PM me for contact info if you're interested.

10. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    Bought my bass from Bob. Talked to him about lessons but his plate is pretty full. Found a fantastic teacher in Winchester, VA...Inez Wyrick. She’s been teaching me and it’s going very well. I’m learning and having a blast.

11. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Brittany Frompovich, but she is in Fredericksburg. I'm transitioning from electric, a year in, and she is easy to work with. For me, and the time of my lesson, its less than an hour for me to travel.

12. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    I did speak with her but our schedules didn't cooperate. I'm very happy with Inez though. I would love to have the time to work with more teachers though-try to learn from many sources. But I have a very tight schedule with very few openings.

13. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Best wishes...