Washington DC, does it suck as much as I think it does?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Nov 1, 2002.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Ok, so I go to school at George Washington, in the "heart" of DC. I've only been here 2 months - I'm only a freshman - but quite frankly, I must be doing something wrong because I'm so sick of this city. It's boring as hell. Yes, there are amazing jazz clubs - all of which I can't get into becasue I'm 18 or becasue they get sold out, or better yet because theyre in the ghetto. Now, I love the historic aspect of this city - I love the monuments, I love the museums, but -as I quickly found out- this city closes at like 10 on weeknights - its ridiculous! and on weekends it gets moved back to like 12. This boggles my mind that the only thing open past midnight in this "major" city is gay clubs. I have nothing against gay clubs, or any clubs actually, its just that theres no way I'm going to a club being as I'm a pasty uncoordinated white boy who hates to dance - hehe. So please, can someone from the area help me out -PLEASE!!!?!?!?!?! Yes, I know about the 930 club, and Wednesday night I saw Andrew WK and Flogging Molly at Nation - Flogging Molly rocked my world btw :)

But seriously now, is there anything to do besides club or go to museums? I'm sick of hanging around my dorm all night because my only options are clubbing or walking around georgetown watching rich couples stumble around drunk. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but after "Halloween Mardi Gras" last night in Georgetown I'm ready to just up and leave this city. What a joke that was.

So, please, I don't want to sound whiny, but, well, I'm desperate here. I want to have a good time, I want to have somewhere to just hang out - the lack of diners is amazing to me, and by amazing I mean it makes me cry. (not really, but you get the point)

Ok, sorry for the rant, but I'm really sick of this city, and I want to like this city, alot, which I do - during the day. At night though, it blows. Please help me!

-Jay P
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I live right outside D.C, in Mountgomery county. I dont geet down to dc very often. Im origanilly from boston, and theres a lot to do there. I dont know why washington is so dull.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes....yes it does:D

4. I could never get bored. But I could LIVE at the Air and Space Museum, so I have a different outlook than you.

Hey, if you want to shell out, Busch Gardens Williamsburg isn't that far away, and they stay open till midnight.

Rock on
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey. My bro went to GWU. He liked it..but then again he was heavy into politics. Everytime I have gone up to DC I find it to be a great city. Well maybe some locals can tell you some cool places to hang out.
  6. i like it. nightlife is severely limited if you're under 21 though. try to get a copy of the washington city paper. it's free, and very in tune with young people - usually music stores have a stack by the door. you might find stuff in there to do, or even a band to join. http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/
  7. Hey! JP Bassman..Your a bass player, Right? Stay home and play your bass. Join a band or start a band. Call yourselfs Major Threat or The Good Brains...;) Move to Portland Oregon, There's lot's going on there...

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    i love the museums, and honestly, who CANT live at the Air and Space? :)
  9. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    i like the school - and yes, everyone here is into politics, except the sluts and frat guys, of course. it sucks because the locals' advice is to go clubbing - they might as well shove knives through my temples...yuck....
  10. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    thanks, ill check it out :)

and yes, under 21 sucks, and its not worth the risk of buying a fake id, at all
  11. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    thanks for the advice, ive actually jammed out the laundry room with a couple guitarists - not bad. no drummers though - problem. also, ive heard portland is the place to be.

and the band names - you lost me, hehe
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Just off the top of my head, this place might help your outlook -

You can choose for DC to suck, or you can choose for it to be nice, maybe someone can help you choose the former.
  13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have a couple friends who used to go up to GW almost every weekend. They said the parties there were a lot of fun. Then again here in Charlottesville there's really not much to do. That's probably why everyone just gets drunk all the time.

Of course, you're from Jersey so I doubt you'd be happy being anywhere but Jersey. Everyone I've met who's from Jersey is like that.
  14. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hey, i'm about a half an hour outside the district, Va side, and there's some stuff to do:

into sports? wizards season just started, and while they're stinking it up already, you'll have no problem getting tickets to see jordan hobble around against the occasional good team. likewise, you got the 'skins a short trip into maryland, and the capitals on rink.

museums are great, even if they get a bit old; seen the national art gallery yet? wonderful place. the holocaust museum is very moving as well; call ahead though, as the tour is restricted to only so many heads per day. and of course the natural history museum is nifty.

there's always tons of bands playing, if not in the district catch a tube up to baltimore, or find a ride out into fairfax/alexandria/arlington and check out the action. not my thing, but i hear dc's got a great punk rock thing going on.

get a job.

even though it's getting cold, i'm still an avid outdoorsman, and if you can catch a ride up skyline drive in the next week or two, the leaves are beautiful; camping might not be your ticket what w/ the temps, but i love cold weather camping! going next week to some park near roanoke, north fork of the roanoke river, beautiful scenery.

bars in georgetown are great for chicks, lots of diversity and alcohol goin' round! the ghetto's not always that awful, just look like you belong and not like a punk.

shop around; part of it might be being away from home and living at school, that's always tough at first.

good luck.
  15. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

Your perceptions are correct. DC is gonna suck no matter what you choose. Do yourself a favor and apply to USC. ;)

I'm only half kidding - I lived in the area for a couple of years and absolutely hated it. If Korea is a third world country, DC/Maryland is like 8th. Wait 'til winter. When it snows, people stare out the window like they've never seen it before, then panic and clean 7-11 out of all the milk and toilet paper. I mean, the place was colonized 400 years ago; you'd think SOMEONE would have noticed that it SNOWS EVERY FRIGGIN' YEAR. Buy a snow plow and get on with your life, "hon." But no, let's close all the schools and shut down the entire government for two days for an inch of snow. Thank god the Soviets never broke that code, or McDonalds would be serving borscht burgers.

And the roads; ever hear of an on ramp? Look it up. MD the only place I've even been where you have to merge into 65 MPH traffic from a FULL STOP. Better hope you don't drive a 4-cylinder.

I could go on...;)

Try Baltimore (you have to pronounce it "Balmer" though), esp the Inner Harbor and Fell's Point. Lots more to do up that way, nightlife-wise, IMO.
  16. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    frat parties are indeed really cool, but now since its pledge-season, the only guys there are brothers and pledges - and i am most certainly not a frat boy.

about the jersey thing, thats an interesting analysis, it is a different place, that new jersey, hehe
  17. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    thanks for the help, those are actually some really cool ideas/perspectives :)
  18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    haha :)

btw, baltimore smells...not a joke, a fact
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  20. lump

Jan 17, 2000