Washingtonians, what is your opinion of I-831?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  2. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm for it. I would gladly wear a t-shirt proclaiming my support for it.
  3. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Can I vote twice?:D
  4. It appears that the link is dead.
  5. Can I vote for it too?:D
  6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Who is that guy? What did he do that was so bad?
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well, his most famous initiative that he wrote was I-685, which was based around setting the car/vehicle tabs set to a flat rate of $35 (it used to be staggered based on value of car and I believe some other factors, for example, a 20 year old, small pickup truck would have just about the minimum tax of about $75, but a brand new SUV would be around $400.) So that tax was equal. So the $50k SUV owner paid just as much as the owner of a beater.

Then much of the taxes that paid for the mass transit system, roads, highways, etc. was taken away. The initiative was also written unconstitutionally. He also pocketed campaign money, iirc.

Those are the main reason why certain people loathe him.

Edit: i kant spel.
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Please don't hate me or flame me but I like I-685. I thought that the motor vehicle excise tax was the biggest ripoff I've ever seen. I guess I feel that the person that drives the clunker car from the 70's is hurting the environment alot more than the person with the new Lexus that gets 25mpg. As far as Tim Eyman goes, I could care less, I don't vote on issues because of any person, I try to learn about the issues.
  9. I'm sure those SUVs that were one of the main targets of it are great for the environment!
  10. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    Tim Eyman's initiatives are short sighted and based on greed. He claims to be sending a message to the state capitol, but he is relatively unaffected by the states budget shortcomings. The same can't be said for the majority of citizens in WA state.
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that even those who dislike Tim Eyman should see this I-831 is far more stupid than anything Eyman ever introduced...this is an intentional abuse of the system. (yes that is their point) but I think having an actual ballot initiative to slander Eyman is taking it way to far. On a side note, I hear that the Horses "A" language had to be removed - does anybody know what it actaully says? Anyway, what a waste...this is sad.
  12. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I thought it was a joke. Tim Heyman is a horses @55, using the initiative process to make it official would just be redundant, IMO.