1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Washtub bass projects?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jul 12, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Anyone ever built a washtub bass? I'd be interested in hearing about specs, designs, mods, etc. High-tech, low-tech, amplified, acoustic, whatever....

(I'm totally serious, by the way! I had a simple tub-bass years ago -- literally a piece of nylon cord, a broomstick, and a metal ... um ... washtub. It was a ton of fun and I am thinking about building another!)

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, playing a washtub bass is what got me hooked and made get an electric! :eek: :cool: :eek:

I haven't built any, but the one I played was an upside down plastic tub nailed to a stripped down palette skid with a broomstick for a handle, and twine for the string.

I did a google search "building washtub bass" and came up with the following link: tubotonia.freehomepage.com/Tublinks.html

There were 429 hits, so I would head on over to google, you should find everything you need there!

Happy hunting! :p

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    NICE! I'd still like to hear any first-hand account from fellow TB'ers, but that tubtonia link should certainly get me started. Thanks! :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I love "Ain't No Hole in the Washtub" on the Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas special. You'll never hear a more badass muppet otter on the washtub than Emmett, I promise you that.