Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washtub bass projects?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jul 12, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Anyone ever built a washtub bass? I'd be interested in hearing about specs, designs, mods, etc. High-tech, low-tech, amplified, acoustic, whatever....

(I'm totally serious, by the way! I had a simple tub-bass years ago -- literally a piece of nylon cord, a broomstick, and a metal ... um ... washtub. It was a ton of fun and I am thinking about building another!)

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, playing a washtub bass is what got me hooked and made get an electric! :eek: :cool: :eek:

I haven't built any, but the one I played was an upside down plastic tub nailed to a stripped down palette skid with a broomstick for a handle, and twine for the string.

I did a google search "building washtub bass" and came up with the following link: tubotonia.freehomepage.com/Tublinks.html

There were 429 hits, so I would head on over to google, you should find everything you need there!

Happy hunting! :p

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    NICE! I'd still like to hear any first-hand account from fellow TB'ers, but that tubtonia link should certainly get me started. Thanks! :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I love "Ain't No Hole in the Washtub" on the Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas special. You'll never hear a more badass muppet otter on the washtub than Emmett, I promise you that.