Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washtub bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by joemamma, Sep 10, 2004.

1. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey all,
    This is a bass I put together for under $100.00. The neck is oak I had around and the finger board is hard maple ($8.00). The sound board is 1/4" birch ply form Home depot ($12.00) The tuners and tub were about $30.00 ea. The strings I got from a music store for $10.00. The owner said he never puts factory strings on the basses he "sets up" but keeps them for guys like me. The pickup is a Radio Shack "buzzer" wired to a 1/4" audio jack (less than $5.00) The whole idea was from web site Dennis Havlenas . I'm just learning URB and don't have a bunch of money for a good bass yet, but wanted to build this for the bluegrass band I get together with. I was able to hear it played by a good bass player and I was very pleased with the sound and volume. This was a fun project to do plus the pig dances when you play.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    It would fit in well with a banjo I saw at a festival. The owner had crafted it from a bedpan.

4. Alright joe!! I think it's pretty cool lookin'. Kinda like a poor mans Czech-Ease (David Gage's travel bass)

5. I'm very impressed with the result, visually. You made a real nice scroll, too. Have you considered building your own full featured DB with a body other than a tub? Can you make us a .wav file? With Windows, all it takes is a microphone and the sound recorder program which is resident in windows. I'd love to hear it. I've seen a few of these that I think are excellent substitutes for student DB's. Yours is quite impressive. Probably holds up well in varible weather, too! :D

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Very nice!

I'm just gathering the pieces myself for my own, inspired from the same site. I wasn't planning on as much decoration as you put in, but maybe now.

Only thing I hesitate on is the compound radius of the fretboard, have any hints? :)

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    what board ? :eyebrow:

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That was like a sneeze, or a bass solo...you could hear it comin', and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm fretting I don't get the fingerboard curve right, so I shortened it to "fret board" :) (quick save)

I'll just make it replaceable so I can have a couple of goes at it.

10. Man, It just seems you're obsessed with that word!

11. John Greenan

John Greenan

Mar 10, 2002
    I made one similarly two years ago. But I used an oil pan rather than a wash tub, and it's played like a bass guitar rather than a stand up bass.

My son, the bass player, sniffed at it and said "You can play notes with it, but not songs."

Still it was a lot of fun and it makes a great conversation piece in my office.

If I could make a scroll as good as yours, I'd think very seriously about building a "real bass".

12. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Thank you all for the generous compliments. I'm trying to make a sound file with Windows sound recorder, but I still get too much static on the playback. I'll try some more adjusting or find another program to use. If anyone wants to carve a neck, I would suggest a wood like maple rather than oak. Oak is cheaper but the end grain is a bit tough to work with. The finger board was'nt too bad to make. There is a Double bass site http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html . There is a link on Double bass measurments http://www.centrum.is/hansi/mesbass.html . Only thing is that you have to convert from millimeters. Or if you have access to a real bass you can get diamentions from it. Just make sure the finger board is flat going lenghtwise. I used a straight 18" 1x3 with a cut "belt sander" belt spray tacked to it. Worked great for finished sanding.Also I used a "straight edge" to make sure I had no dips. For the bridge I copied a picture of one I found on a web site. Then used a photo program to make it the size I needed, printed it and spray tacked it on to a piece of soft maple and jig sawed it out.Thanks again for all the great feed back and I'll try and get a Wav. file as soon as I can.

Joe

13. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Just found a recorder that came with my sound card. Does anyone know how I can upload a WAV. file ?

Joe

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A WAV file is going to be kinda big. Use Windows Media Player or Real Media player to convert it to a compressed format first. After that perhaps Mr. Rondeau will host it for you, otherwise I can if you email it to RayParkerBassPlayer@gmail.com.

15. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Ray,
    Thanks for posting the Washtub bass sound file for me.

Joe

16. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey all,
    Went to an event this last weekend with my bass. I'm always trying to find a place to put my drink while I play, but nothing is ever convinent ( on the amp, top of a rock, stray dogs head). This little attachment did the trick. It will hold bottles, cans and cups. Wouldn't want to put it on any of the beautiful basses many of you have but this works great for an ol tub bass like this.

Joe

Attached Files: