Wasn't someone looking for a Jazzmaster-style bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Mar 4, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How´s the quality on those?
  2. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    Hey, that was me! Or at least, me among others who were looking for a bass in that style. Thanks for the link. Too bad they don't seem to sell them to the U.S.
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    mr. music in boston has one of them , they are called m style basses. I'm not sure of the exact address, but do a search, you should find it
  4. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    No idea on the quality, just stumbled across them. Here's the link to Mr. Music. They have it listed at $249! Could be junk, could be a 'sleeper'...

It's about halfway down the page.
  5. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I've not tried one of these, but I own(ed) a Stagg telecaster copy, and I imagine the quality will be similar - they're budget instruments, but seem to be reasonable for the price. My Tele had a really nice neck with surprisingly good fretwork, and the body seemed to be OK - 3-piece (unidentified) wood. The hardware was what you're expect from a cheap instrument - not great. The bridge and pickup were annoyingly not quite Fender dimensions, and the high E didn't line up over the pickup properly and sounded really week. I ended up using bits of it in a franken-tele, and the neck and body are sitting here waiting to be rebuilt with decent parts.

Hopefully that'll give you a bit of an insight - they're perfectly usable instruments aimed at the budget/beginner market. If you like the style but find it's not quite up to your standards, it can probably be fairly easily upgraded.
  6. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I'll try to get over to Mr Music to check them out. I"m not an experienced bass player, but I should be able to judge build quality.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    theyre budget instruments, and quite popular here in the UK.

IMO they suck, however.

the only good thing they make is guitar stands
  8. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
  9. My thoughts exactly, I had a go on a Stagg bass and it was pretty poor, altough I played an acoustic and it was ok, not good, just ok. And yeah they do make good guitar stands, even I have one! I also used to own a Stagg 20w amp, worst purchase and waste of £60 ever! :meh:
  10. yeah, i remember that one being brought up. i remember because i liked that one.blue, jazzmaster shape, two humbuckers, it was a lot of cool things, but i hear stagg's are poor quality, and expensive to ship to the US, from what i hear

11. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    OMG! :eek:

This is gorgeous, Hambone!
  12. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Stagg really really really sucks!
  13. hambone > that bass is going to kick some serious butt. i've been dying to get a jaguar/jazzmaster bass since i started playing. since there arent many around, and the ones that are are of questionable make etc. i've decided on building one, but i cant seem to get the body drawn out right for the life of me. What I'm wondering(as I'm sure I'm not the only one) is if you could make up like a blueprint for the body on that bass, something like on the MIMF?
  14. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I played the Stagg Jazzmaster today. It felt pretty good but needed some serious shielding. It was buzzing like a cheap jazz. The silver polepieces on the pups really clashed with the gold hardware, making what could've been a nice looking bass into a mismatched cheap flashy trampish looking thing. I also played a Stagg Stingray copy. This was better. It had a nice maple neck and single volume single tone. It still buzzed, but not as bad as the jazzmaster.

So, I guess my other news is, Rondo Music now carries Stagg. I don't know if they are going to offer them on the website. I played the Brice T-Bird prototype through an amp this time, it was very very tempting. The production model is now out, it has more of a fender style bridge and a nice looking sunburst finish. I also played the 3/4 SX Jazz, but didn't plug it in. It needed a setup but felt very fast, because it's so little!
  15. Wow Hambone that bass looks great...make sure you post the finished product
    What finish are you putting on it?
  16. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm. So Stagg = POS apparently. Not a huge surprise at the price. ;)

www.diamondstrings.com has these, which get into the ballpark. Anyone have any experience with one?