Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wasn't sure where to put this..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jan 5, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, I'm looking to write a song and I've hit a wall. I have a little more than basic music theory knowledge, I just don't know how to apply it in the songwriting process. I'm looking for it to be a slow, sort of depressing bass groove. Almost like Metallica's "Fade to Black" bassline. (That bassline inspired me to write my own, because it feels like it holds so much emotion everytime I play)

If anyone has any tips for me, they're appreciated. Thanks alot

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Think of the part you want to write... in this case maybe its best to start with the bass line. Sing it, so you can get it clearly in your head, then play it on bass, then either record it or write down whatever you need to so you won't forget it.

Same process then with the vocal line, guitar part, or whatever you want in the song. Don't worry too much about music theory, if you are hearing the song in your head, the parts will go together.

Get some people together, teach them the parts. Experiment until it sounds like you want it to.

Good imagination and a clear vision of what you want to have in your music will always trump any knowledge you could gain of other peoples music (music theory).

3. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA

Thank you for your insight. I'm in a metal band, so I was hoping to maybe make this into a ballad. (Maybe a tribute for my friends mother who recently passed away.) One thing I've realised is that It's extremely hard to write music with just a bass.(for me at least.) Seeing as the guitars will probably hold the melody. Should I find the melody I want first, then start writing a bass harmony for it? Can I choose a scale and then base it off that?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

4. Depends ultimately on how you write. I myself find writing a song off a bassline nearly impossible, and if I do, the bass is re-written, after I've figured out the guitars and such. So I will always start with a guitar or piano piece usually, but YMMV