1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wasted Years?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassbully, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Just thought i would share a story from the gig the other night that struck me. The drummer and in our country band and i were setting up at a privite club (animal type) When he replied "You know this was the first place i ever played a gig at when i was 13 years old" :eyebrow: I said really? He went on to tell me the layout of the club had changed and how his dad had to get him in since he was a minor.He played with that band for several years. Today he is 40 and a very good drummer and singer. He has played in a band ever since that day. I thought to myself i was trying to fret smoke on the water at 13 on a beat up acoustic :rolleyes:

This just made me think of the time wasted on not putting the time into music back then. I have always played and tinkered and even had a couple of crap bands in high school but never put out half the effort he did. I guess i was impressed by the story and kinda motivated by it. I just picked up the bass full time 7 years ago and got in a real band 6 years ago so i guess i can say i am no longer wasting time....although i wish i had those years back :(

2. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I hear ya, although I'm only 21 and try to avoid "what-if's" as much as possible, it pops into my mind relatively often that I could have had so much more fun with music in high school. :bawl:

3. jtrow

jtrow

Mar 1, 2009
    Mid America
    I don't think I would call them wasted years, just time spent doing what you wanted. Did you go out and do things during those "wasted years", or just sit in your room and cry? If you sat around and did nothing maybe you could have spent your time better, but never a waste.

I didn't start playing the bass until I was 21 or 22, and not very seriously. About 24 I got into the bass big time, but I don't regret not starting sooner. I had so much fun chasing girls, partying, hanging out, chasing girls, and partying that I could never look back on those years as wasted. I wouldn't be the person I am, or the bass player I am, if I didn't have all those other experiences.

Your music should be about life, and if you don't live it up, at least a little bit, what are you playing about?

4. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm 47 now.. and I'm heading into my prime as a player.

I retired a few times, for a few years.. but I couldn't stop playing..

I started playing at 13..

And I'm at the top of my game right now!

Robin

And to think.. I resisted..

5. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I get to thinking that way sometimes, then I remind myself that it doesn't matter what I've done, it only matters what I want and am going to do.

6. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    As that old cliche says,

We are like fine cheese or wine/ the older the better! IMO

7. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    :bassist:

Robin

8. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    i know exactly what you mean. even if i started rehearsing at the age of 10 and played my first gig at 16, i will never forgive myself for not going to 'music school' because at the time i thought it was 'a gay thing to do'. parents did not force me hard enough.

now i kind of miss the knowledge i could acquire....
    trying to pass the experience on my kids.

9. Well, you can't really say it was time wasted. While you might have had a bass at...say age 10.....there was still a lot in the world for you to discover...and you were still growing up. I got my first bass at about 15 yrs old and I didn't truly get passionate about it for about 4-5 years. And since I got on TB....I have wanted to get better and better everyday....TB is a good motivator..and GAS motivator too.

10. lefthandedmutha

lefthandedmutha

Sep 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Jtrow and charliedog are right. Those years weren't wasted. You came to the bass when you were ready to play. Who knows?, if you had picked it up when you were thirteen, you might have hated it and never played again? Enjoy!:hyper:

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I thought this was going to end by saying the dude is still playing the same place after all these years....what a waste of time! He didn't get anywhere!

I know, I'm bad :)

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If you mean it gets moldy and turns to vinegar, you're right.

13. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    I guess only you could say if those were truly 'wasted' but it's cool that you didn't ignore the feeling when it came back around seven years ago.

I was just telling my wife the other day about the maturing
    fine wine analogy-----so she locked me in the cellar.

14. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    LOL No he is still playing today. On my myspace page there is a video of the country bands vid they did in the eighties where i think he said he was 19 or so ...its funny!

Thanks for the replys and your right. The years were not wasted i did alot but in a musical way i did not. I have always had a deep love for music and playing but up to my later years had fear of performing in front of people. Maybe if i would of worked on it in my teen's 20's, 30's etc i would of been better and over it and able to be a more rounded experienced player. I will say and am told all the time for as long as i have been back to playing i am a tasteful and good bassist and never turned down. I know that is due to my commitment and grief i carry for not doing more when i was younger.
    Today i have a more understanding wife :rolleyes: And things are good. I am in 2 bands and even have gone back to playing guitar at home and writing songs for fun. Original music was my first love and in my first few bands not wanting to play covers as a teen made it tuff to find players another strike in those days.

To the second post who is 21. You are young do all you can do and dont look back and regret you didnt take the time like i did. Thanks again, they were good years, I raised 2 girls, had jobs and buisness, was involved in alot. Musically wasted yes...i guess that was what i was trying to say. I am 47 having fun and dont plan on stopping.

15. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    LOL..at least she left you a computer. I think thats why i suffer inside. The feeling never left from the day i got my first guitar at 10 (cheap) I just finally acted on it when i was 40. I told myself before i die i will learn to play and will be on a stage somewhere, someday in front of people playing music..and i did. I just wish i wouldnt of waited so long. I know suck it up move on :p

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I started playing piano at age six. Added accordion at age 7. Guitar at 13, bass around the same time. I'm 55 now, and facing forced early retirement in a month. I played in bands in middle and high school, dabbled with guitar as solo and duos in college. Then got married, started a career, had three kids, bought a house ... and always continued to play, but not with a band, and sometimes laid off off for years at a time. :atoz:

I've been VERY active in the past two years or so, have never played better, never sang better, do solo, duos and trios. I belong to an Americana/roots quartet, I sub on bass for a couple of country bands, and am considering joining a Christian P&W band. I have a room full of great guitars and gear. :bassist:

From time to time, when shootin' the breeze with musicians I've met and played with recently, who have stories of the road and the famous names they've played with and for, I think "gee, I wasted all those years not playing". But then I look at my lovely wife, my three successful kids, my grandchildren, the paid off deed to my house, the successful and lucrative career I made for myself, etc, etc ... and the word "wasted" has no place in my thoughts. All those years were simply the prelude to the present. It enabled me to pursue my musical interests now ... without living on Ramen noodles and sleeping in the van ... :)

17. If it makes you feel better look at his wasted years. All that time playing and studying and he is right back where he started at 13. You are in the same place he is and you did other things with your life, so what's the big deal? Some people, like myself, just can't/couldn't dedicate themselves to things that require work and effort in their free time at that young of an age. Everybody does things there own way, it's only a waste if you regret it.

18. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Regret is just a hamster on a wheel...all that running for no purpose. You can't change the past, only the here and now. Plan for the future and live in the moment. Only look back on fond memories.

19. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, I understand that, I am 21 and have no band, haven't been in bands for long periods and I feel like I'm wasting my time xP

20. the engine

the engine Guest

Don't sweat it! Just because you are really into bass NOW doesn't mean you were really into it THEN! I'll be honest with you. I started playing in clubs every weekend when I was 15. I kinda regret not getting to do the things normal kids got to do during the teenage years. The grass is not always greener...

Just enjoy it NOW! Cheers! Good luck!