Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wat do I do now?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xhunter, Aug 21, 2002.

1. I really wanted to play an instrument and don't really like guitar so I bought a bass couple of days ago. I found some tutorials on the net and learned how to play witha pik a little. I don't have money for lessons and don't have lots of money in general. How do I learn and wat style should I start with. Should I learn to play witha pick then join some bad and forget about fingers? I'm also not very good with music theory. What should I do now? I know a guy that needs a bassist for his band but i really think that I should LEARN how to play first. So wat do I do ppl?

2. First off, welcome to Talkbass. :)

Second, check out this thread and see if there's anything there you want to check out. Also, do a search on this forum, this question has been asked before and has recieved some excellent answers.

Third, start just wanking around on your bass. Get a tune you like and listen to the bassline. Try humming along to the line and then try to find the notes on your bass. This is called ear training and is probably the most important thing to do. If you get good at this, you can do anything. It'll take time, but it'll get there. If you use the shortcut, tabs, you'll never get anywhere. If you want reasons why tabs are bad, do a search on this very forum. Just remember you might get what you wished for.

Now, pick or fingers? Learn both and then figure out which one you find more comfortable.

Other things to check out:

The Libster - Source of great educational material, especially if you want to learn how to sight read.

Jazzbo's scale and chord theory guide - Jazzbo's guide to chord and scale theory. You'll want to check this out sometime, maybe not now.

The bassbook - Tips on methods and what to learn first.

And finally our F.A.Q. - Read through this. It has answers to alot of your questions.

Good luck with your studies, ask us anything you want to know and we'll try to help. Remember that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. :)

P.S. Rosin is used to increase friction between your bow and strings if you use a double (Upright) bass. ;)

3. Wombatesque

Wombatesque

Sep 29, 2000
    San Jose, Ca.
    Xhunter. I give lessons, here in the bay area, and I've found that nothing, in the begining, beats trying to play along with the radio or tv. Don't get discouraged by not playing exactly what you hear, just get as close as you can. Anytime you watch tv have the bass in your hands and try to pick out the notes from the commercials, etc. You'll eventually figure some nice things out.

4. do what i did. go to www.basstabarchive.com and learn tabs. i think its an easy way to start out

download the song "bound to the floor" by local h and get the tab from that website. its a simple one to play and itll help u learn a little bit of timing too.

goodluck dude. one day youll be as good as most of the people here

hopefully i will too

5. cantdance

cantdance

Aug 20, 2002
    well im glad he posted, else i wouldnt have found that site, thanks alot gunnar :D

6. No! Don't use tabs! They don't help you learn anything, it's just a matter of "put your finger here, here and here" and then play this song. Download the song anyway and try to figure it out by ear. It may take a while but you will learn so much more from it in the long term.

Cantdance: Glad it helped. :)

7. Thanks for the bassbook link.

I wish I woulda found that earlier in my playing career, I wouldn't of had to use a 30-something year old "THEORY FOR PAINO" (actually mispelled like that) book that my grandma had.

Only downfall is it used alot of tabs and I was pretty lost with tabs..heh, but for the beginniner I'm sure its heaps useful.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    welcome to the world of bottom dwelling.

Since you are new to bass guitar, the very 1st things you should be learning are:

1. How to proporly hold the instrument
    2. Proper finger positioning
    3. Proper picking techniques
    4. Scales and Arpeggios, both major and minor in
    all 12 keys
    5. Music Theory, this way you will know what
    available note choices you have behind chord
    progressions and why the note choices you use
    work together
    6. Site Reading
    7. Avoid tabs at all costs, they are a crutch and
    will hinder your growth as a musician
    8. Save some money and get a lesson whenever
    you can afford one, even if its only 1 a month

IMO its also ok to jam along to covers as well, this will help you work on ear training and to also incorporate some of the knowledge you learned by creating your own lines and fills to songs. As for what style you want to play, thats entirely up to you, but I do suggest you dont pick stuff that has somewhat challenging bass lines.

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    'Learn?' :confused: yes, it may be an easy way to start out, but, as has been said above, I don't believe they will help you learn. Learn some theory and learn some ear-training skills.

Buying a metronome or sitting in with a drummer would be much more beneficial in learning timing. And if you want to learn this Local H song, being it's a simple one to play as said, practice those ear-training skills and try to figure it out on your own. :)

Good luck! :)
    Stephanie

10. dont listen to me. i dunno what im talkin about. lol. listen to these ppl. theyre smart

11. Not if you keep using TAB.... Find a transcription site instead.