1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Watch out America, North Korea is coming!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 25, 2014.

1. At first it was just complaints, now things are getting serious, better watch out! :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28014069

North Korea threatens war on US over Kim Jong-un movie

_75819668_022759557-1.
    The Interview stars Seth Rogen (left) who directed the film with Evan Goldberg

North Korea has promised "merciless" retaliation if a forthcoming Hollywood movie about killing Kim Jong-un is released, say agencies.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in state media that the movie's release would be an "act of war".

He did not mention the title, but a Hollywood movie called The Interview with a similar plot is due in October.

Hollywood actors James Franco and Seth Rogen star in the action-comedy film.

They play a talkshow host and his producer who are invited to interview Kim Jong-un, and are subsequently recruited by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to assassinate the leader.

The film's teaser trailer, posted on Youtube, shows a lookalike actor playing Kim Jong-un, as well as fight scenes involving what appear to be North Korean tanks and helicopters, and a nuclear missile launch.

The North Korea spokesman was quoted by the state KCNA news agency as saying: "Making and releasing a movie on a plot to hurt our top-level leadership is the most blatant act of terrorism and war and will absolutely not be tolerated."

He added that the "reckless US provocative insanity" of mobilising a "gangster filmmaker" to challenge the North's leadership was triggering "a gust of hatred and rage" among North Korean people and soldiers.

"If the US administration allows and defends the showing of the film, a merciless counter-measure will be taken," the spokesman was quoted as saying.

_75819664_488373801. Hollywood actor James Franco stars in The Interview as a talkshow host invited to interview Kim Jong-un
    _75819666_022789623-1. Kim Jong-un took power after his father Kim Jong-il died in 2011, which prompted a change in the film's script
    Apparent evidence emerged last week supporting claims that North Korea is further developing its missile technology. Some experts said they had identified a new anti-ship cruise missile shown in a North Korean propaganda film. Other observers were more sceptical.

North Korea is holding three Americans in custody. The latest to be detained is said to be a tourist named Jeffrey Edward Fowle who reportedly left a Bible at a hotel.

Rogen, one of the directors of The Interview, recently said he was inspired by journalists' trips to North Korea.

He told Yahoo: "People have the hypothetical discussion about how journalists have access to the world's most dangerous people, and they hypothetically would be in a good situation to assassinate them."

He added that the film was originally about meeting Kim Jong-il, but they had to revise the script when he died in 2011 and his son Kim Jong-un took power.

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Seth Rogen should ask Salman Rushdie for some pointers.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I wonder if they even understand the limited involvement of government in the film industry?

4. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

It would appear as though Hollywood is the US for a lot of people.

karl_em_all and BboogieXVII like this.
  5. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    What, is that clown Kim Jong Un going to try counterfeiting more US currency? Admittedly, it is somewhat unsettling that a nation with WMD is being run by, essentially, a man-child.

Stewie26 and fraublugher like this.
  6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    We lampoon world leaders all the time on TV and in movies. SNL has lampooned Kim Jung-un a few times. I don't see why they get their panties in a bunch over this. Seems hypersensitive to me. An "act of war" .... puhleeeze!
    Maybe we should send an envoy there like Dennis Rodman to smooth things over with them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Stewie26 and TolerancEJ like this.
  7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I'm guessing it works a little bit differently over there.

8. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Seems as if they're only breathing heavily.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The North Koreans are truly the wild card in the world deck. Total insane dictatorship with a nearly 100% brainwashed, population that knows little, if anything factual about the rest of the world. Really crazy stuff. I honestly feel so sorry for those poor, exploited people.

GregC and fraublugher like this.
  10. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

I'm not challenging your claim by asking this, but how do you know that?

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I would only be worried if they were doing weather related skits. Then Jongi-L would bring the pain!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  12. I don't know if it's entirely brainwashed or if it's living in fear.

karl_em_all likes this.
  13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    ^ Part and parcel for sure.

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I'm guessing none of the Kim Jongs saw Team America, then.

15. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Good one man.

16. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Figures a UK sideliner would post this. Nothing to lose! Nothing to fear! Just sit back and watch the fun!
    POPCORN!!!

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008

18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    "If the US administration allows and defends the showing of the film, a merciless counter-measure will be taken," the spokesman was quoted as saying."- I think that means he's planning a relentless Twitter campaign. He'll verbally tear the US a new one, but good!

19. I'm enjoying watching the blind terror sweating out of you all.

kingofpopcorn1.

20. If it makes you feel better, a Barber in England was approached by North Korean 'diplomats' over a poster he had in his window.

bad-hair-day-kim-jong-un.