Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watch out for new virus!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by reasonbass, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Fellow TBassers' I've have been getting weird E-mails from pople that I don't know for the past day. The E-mail it self will not say anything exept to click on an attached file thumbnail. The subject might say: RE.----.Needless to say I have been deleting them and blocking the sender address. And today I stumbled on this. Here is the full story. So be on the lookout for Emails with just attachements.

New Computer Virus Clogs E-Mail Inboxes

Email this Story

Aug 20, 10:16 AM (ET)

By RIVA RICHMOND

NEW YORK (AP) - A new strain of one of the most virulent e-mail viruses ever spread quickly worldwide Tuesday morning, causing fresh annoyance to users worn out by last week's outbreak of the Blaster worm.

The new virus, named "Sobig.F" by computer security companies, attacks Windows users via e-mail and file-sharing networks. It also deposits a Trojan horse, or hacker back door, that can be used to turn victims' PCs into senders of spam e-mail.

MessageLabs Inc., a company that filters e-mail for corporations, had blocked more than 100,000 copies of Sobig.F by midday Tuesday, making it by far the most active virus of the day.

"It's definitely spreading very quickly, just an incredible ramp-up so far this morning," said Brian Czarny, marketing director at MessageLabs. The variant is likely to be one of the more successful versions of a very successful virus strain, he said.

The previous Sobig.A and Sobig.B variants are both on MessageLabs' list of the biggest 10 e-mail viruses of all time.

The e-mail message that carries Sobig.F has the subject line "Re: Details" and the message "Please see attached file for details." If a recipient clicks on the attachment, which can have multiple names ending in the .pif file extension, the computer will be infected.

The virus will then send itself out to names found in the victim's address book and will use one of these names to forge a return address. As such, the infected party may not quickly learn of the infection, while an innocent party may get the blame for helping to propagate it.

Like all the other Sobig viruses, this version is programmed to self-destruct after two weeks, in this case on Sept. 10.

The Blaster worm is still at large. It uses a published flaw in Microsoft's Windows operating systems to spread via network connections, without using e-mail. It slowed down the Internet and caused computer restarts worldwide, but the attack it was programmed to carry out against a Microsoft Web site on Saturday proved harmless.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    A fellow bassist is infected!

I've gotten 900+ viruses to my 3 different email addresses in the last 24 hours :rolleyes:

all coming out of chartermi.net

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    since yesterday, i have had over 300 emails stopped by norton anti-virus that were sent to the office.

pisses me off!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Ummm, this and most other viruses 'Spoof' an email address. you are blocking someone that is in the infected persons addressbook... not the person with the virus.

5. yeah that's true. but I was getting the same emails from the same addresses. So I just blocked them casue I really don't know who they are. Time to renew my subscribtion to my Norton Anti virus.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I've just taken the dozen known subject lines and made a rule to put them direct to the trash.

Hopefully people will catch on before the thing self destructs in 2 weeks :meh:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Easy solution - don't use Outlook Express for email!! :meh:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i should of known that - thanks!

:)

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

w00t! there ya go :rolleyes:

I don't, I'm just getting hit with other's attempts to spread it :meh:

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    your turn, bruce...

:D

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ha! He can't, there is no good come back to a fact! He will probably fall back on his old plan, and spout some gibberish about global warming!;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was replying to the original poster - but of course the points is if nobody used Outlook Express then this wouldn't have happened!!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    If people would only wise up! I got 1200 in the past 24 hours. I'm checking my domained mail once daily and living on my Yahoo! account till this blows over :mad:

(sorry Bruce thought you aimed that at me :) )

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bingo. The only time I ever got a virus, it was through Outlook. Haven't used it since.

15. Bruce is right. I haven't gotten any on my excite account. So it must be a Microsoft thing.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    because an infected MS user doesn't have you in their address book.

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto

18. Bruce Lindfield

Ermmm - would you like to eat your words now? :spit:

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA