1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Watch Out on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazyeelboy, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I got a good reminder to be careful on eBay today. I was bidding on a Rickenbacker 4001v63 in cool seafoam green. The long and short of it is that there seems to have been some hanky panky going on with a fraudulent bidder driving up the price with no real intention to buy. I suspect it was the seller, but I can't be sure. Anyway, watch out for fake bidders on eBay.

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    with anything on ebay you need to be careful..

apparently paypay holds your money for a while nowadays too. sold cymbals a while ago, they've left me positive feedback, and i still cant access my money for a few more weeks (????!!!!)

i hate ebay.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Read the rules.

If you can live with them, use Ebay.

If not, don't.

It's business, nothing personal.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I had an item that I was bidding on a year ago or so and a bidder would make bids of 12.49, 14.99, 19.99, etc. obviously someone that was trying to push up the price without trying to win. So I make oddball bids now of 148.48 instead of 150 now if I bid on anything, which I rarely do. I'd rather have a BIN price.

5. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I would be Asking Paypal WTH! If the Buyer has left you Positive Feedback, there is No Reason they should be holding Funds UNLESS the Buyer paid you with an E-CHeck. E-Checks are a Pain in the A$$. And, since Paypal is a Ebay Company, they get to set the Rules.... Since I have accumulated enough Positive Feedback from selling, they don't bug me anymore. Just More $$$ for them to leave me be instead of making me angry and taking my Business elsewhere...

6. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    in this enlightened age, people still buy stuff on eBay?

;)

7. Yup...the old shill bidding scam....I used to buy and sell a lot on ebay....and it was great....but times have changed and ebay has changed so much since I first started back in 2000 that I avoid it now almost completely.....but there is still some good deals if your lucky.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    PayPal are dogs. They had a random review and froze my account pending proof of I.d. and address. They can pretty well do whatever they want by the looks of things.

9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I always got a max bid that I never exceed, so if someone comes along and starts pushing it up without intention to buy, it doesn't bother me because if they exceed my max, I let it go no sweat. If they don't, I win the auction below or at my max bid.

10. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    That is exactly what you should do.

Shill bidding is quite common, especially on the weekends when traffic is heavy. Sellers will offer Friday night 3-day auctions.

All it takes is a friend or two in a different city, or even the same town, just a different ISP, so things don't look too fishy.

They can only do it for a short while though before ebay catches on to the act.

Keep your max bid plan. It is the best way to fight shill bidding, although it still hurts because they can still drive the price up on you.

11. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Can't remember the last time I actually bid on something. I always go for the Buy It Now option.

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I threw a max bid on a great old record that I used to own and would like to own again. I was outbid and the thing sold for $20.50. An incredible bargain, but I let it go. I almost only use "buy it now." I have a computer that I would love to sell on ebay, but it has changed so much... There was one summer around 1999 when I supported myself almost entirely by flipping thrift store finds and dumpster dived lamps and whatnot. Those days are over.

14. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I never bid on anything until there are 3 seconds left in the auction. It keeps prices lower than I bid $5, someone outbids me by $5, so I bid $5 higher than that, and so on. Granted, if someone is driving their own price up then it won't help very much. But it is useful for when you're bidding against actual competition.

15. Provide those tracking numbers!

16. Official Ninja

Official Ninja

Oct 21, 2009
    New Jersey
    I wait until 30 seconds left in the auction. Then I bid the max amount I am willing to pay for the item. If I get it, fine. If not, it sold for more than I wanted to pay anyway and no time was left to temp me to bid higher just to "win".

17. That's it - except 30 seconds is too long IMO. You need to not leave enough time for an ebay noob to react & re-bid once they see yours. Any time in the last 5 seconds is good.

18. If you're not using esnipe, you're not doing it right.

19. I disagree. Bidding any time in the last 5 seconds makes no difference.

20. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    What's equally annoying is the buyer who pushes the price up then doesn't pay. I thought I'd got a great price on a guitar last week until I started getting odd messages about 'Paypal problems' (despite this guy still buying and paying for other items succesfully). It's particularly annoying as, due to holidays and other commitments, that one week was my specific window to sell before September. And the second-placed bidder doesn't seem interested in a second chance offer.

I've reported the bad buyer and expect to get my fees back and put a non-payment mark against his name but it doesn't really help me. Grrrr.

But to put it in perspective, that's the first bad experience on Paypal in 8 years. It's easier to avoid the bad stuff as a buyer than a seller - if the description, seller's feedback or bidding patterns smell bad, you can walk away.