watched TED last night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by murphy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Basically a live action episode of Family Guy.
    But had a Disney story and Disney ending.

Some funny laughs in the middle...

but pretty tame and safe overall.

Expected to be offended.....
    I was offended at how cliche the story was :rollno:

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I wouldnt say that it "sucked" but overall I agree with your take on it. It was like a live action Family Guy, and certainly far from a great movie. It had its share of laughs though.

Last Friday I went to see "This is 40" a spin-off of Paul Rudd & Leslie Mann's characters from Knocked Up... boy did that blow. Im glad I didnt actually spend money seeing that.

3. that is what i'm hearing from everyone

4. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I thought Ted was funny. I don't see how it's just a live action Family Guy episode. Of course there'll be some similarity because of the voice and the write but it was it's own thing.
    This is 40 is getting great reviews. What was so bad about it?

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You're hearing bad reviews from others about "This is 40", probably because those people are way far from 40. Irony? ;)

I bet it's not that bad at all.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I wouldnt call 50% on Rotten Tomatoes "great reviews". The movie has its funny moments, but it drags at 2hrs 15min without enough meat for the running length. Its almost like sitting through a funny couples drawn out and not so funny argument that gets wrapped up with a pretty bow at the end and all is better. Add in some pointless sideplots and it takes away from the point of the film. Its hard for me to categorize it as a "comedy", its "touching" at times, and a little funny here and there. The best part of the film is any scene involving Megan Fox, because it distracts from the rest of the movie.

True, Im just coming up on 40, but if you want to watch an unfunny movie about your own mid-life crisis youre welcome to ignore the reviews. Actually, the movie isnt about being 40 at all, but more about being stuck with a partner that you dont really even like, only to realize at the end that you like them just enough to work things out. My opinion is stated not as a 30ish guy watching a movie, but as a lover of film who was veryy disappointed by a movie that I wanted to like, and gave every chance.

7. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    This is why:

tumblr_md51ymhBgk1qg3q94o1_r1_500.gif

8. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    A lot of the jokes in TED are New England centric, I mean they reference specific towns and their stereotypes. I loved it,but left thinking there were some "in" jokes outsiders wouldn't fully get.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Actually, most people I know (in their early to mid 20's) seem to like it. I haven't heard anyone say it was straight up bad.

10. im sorry

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I appreciate this synopsis more than I would any soundbites on Rotten Tomatoes...I trust what yer sayin... I get it, I just wanted it to be funny, as I am a big Paul Rudd fan...the Missus wanted to see it too....

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    - Re: Ted:
    I, too, wouldn't call it a great movie, but, I Would call it a pretty good/funny movie.

- Re: This Is 40:
    Disappointed to hear it might not be good. It looks like a funny movie to me, and my wife and I were looking forward to it.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, for all I know, you and your wife might enjoy it. Alls Im saying is that I didnt, not nearly as much as I wanted to. But, different people and different tastes and all...
    I like Paul Rudd too, but one thing Ive noticed about him is that all of his recent rolls have been pretty much the same. He's a great Improv actor, and he does some in This is 40, but this movie wasnt the best vehicle for improv, IMO.
    Another thing... seeing the previews, oh man... just formulaic comedy after comedy that all look the same. And Melissa McCarthy was in at least 3 of them.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021