1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Watching Craigslist Musicians, Great one today

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TwentyHz, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I've become a daily CL > Community > Musicians watcher, although I'm 3-bands deep and not currently looking. This one showed up today in the Cincinnati CL.

I love watching bands change and merge, and I'm fascinated by the differences in approaches to ads, by genres, how bass players are represented etc.

I thought that not only was the specificity of this one amazing (I've only known one Zoroastrian in my life, and I'm sure many folks have never had the opportunity), but I thought the bass mention here was great, and overall the rhythm of this ad was fan-effin-tastic, even if it's not serious.

Hope you enjoy:

Zoroastrian Rhythm guitar

Looking for like minded Zoroastrian rhythm guitarist. Must be committed to spreading the good word of Zarathustra. Skill at guitar, desire to practice or ability to get along with others is not important, only your steadfast, unquestioning belief in the transcendency of Ahura Mazda.

We currently have lead guitar, bass (atheist), drums and vocals.

Looking to gig within in two moon phases.

Richard, don't bother applying again.

Gaolee, DirtDog, SunnBass and 2 others like this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i guess we just don't have as many inadvertently funny people posting here today, but i did find a milfy female pop punk vocalist looking for people with a great voice for what she's doing - if she were a little closer, i'd hit her up. the video isn't the best ever, but her singing is great - think 1980s - and the music is tight.

Female singer/guitar electric/acoustic looking for players (Woodland Hills)

Doing vocals, back up vocals and guitar on Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Dead, Beatles, Eagles, Dylan, Creedence, Elvis, old school CW, some modern stuff as well. Open to new material . Do some 5 string banjo and harmonica as well. I have all my gear and PA and have a stable situation so looking to jam, play out, play parties and try to play Kate Wolf festival up in NorCal. Used to play punk and do solo in Japan. Love music and looking to get together with some musicians couple times a week to put together some great songs Also cool to do an acoustic duo or trio as well in Los Angeles

video dated 9/1/16, original composition

i spoke too soon. here's a rambling TMI sort of post
    I think I wanna start a rock band.

OldBassman, Gaolee, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  3. Hmmm.. That's not far from me...

4. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I get a chuckle when I see two ads posted a day or two apart that read something like:

Ad 1: Led Zeppelin tribute band needs singer. We have guitarist, bassist and drummer.

Ad 2: Singer looking to form Led Zeppelin tribute band. Need guitar, bass, and drums.

Do you suppose there was some kind of recent falling out in some Led Zeppelin tribute band?

5. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I wonder what Richard did to incur the wrath of zathu

repoman, twinjet, thetaxmiser and 9 others like this.
  6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Way back when, long before Craigslist or even the internet, major metro daily newspapers used to have substantial classified ad sections. I was able to make a decent living (for a young kid at the time), plus scoring gear that I wanted/needed, just "brokering" gear transactions. I don't know how many times I found an ad selling something & another ad looking for the exact same thing, just inches apart in the paper! Often I made an easy $50 or so, just to drive across town & be the go-between.

vishalicious, TwentyHz and JRA like this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Hmmmmm Nice looking Cactus ;)

JRA and pcake like this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    what i see all the time is less specific -

metal drummer looking for working band
    a couple ads over
    metal band with gigs looking for drummer

TwentyHz, SunnBass and Ben B like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That's not far enough from me. :jawdrop:

I think I did a pick-up gig with her once. She walked over to me during the performance and whispered in my ear, "The guitar's just a prop." Gee, I couldn't tell. I spent the rest of the gig trying to throw her a solo, much to the chagrin of the guitar player and drummer. :roflmao:

I used to be a real jerk.

Wait, maybe I still am. :bag:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

10. Hah! yep, I love those too.

11. I think I worked with her also a while back.
    Great voice and pleasant on the eyes but unfortunately usually had less than stellar musicians backing her up...myself and BassCliff excluded....lol

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes, I really don't mean to disparage the nice lady (Lori Loring?) in the video that Ms. @pcake posted. Really, I don't. And I actually don't think I've ever worked with her, but she reminded me of someone whom I described in my little episode. It was a funny evening in a dingy club I don't remember in a town I'd rather forget. I'm sure we've all had those nights. Please forgive me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

13. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Saw a Hendrix band advertising locally a while back. They were looking for lead and rhythm guitarists (!), vocalist (!!), drums and bass. It made me wonder what the advert poster actually did. Additional inaudible percussionist dude #2, as per the Woodstock film?

TwentyHz likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

fun(ny) stuff!

Remyd likes this.
  15. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Love those postings. Those really make ya ponder what's going on there...

16. Les Ismoor

Les Ismoor Masochist of the First Order

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I'm in Cincy as well, and this one has been running for the better part of a year:

House band looking for a gig (CINCINNATI)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    We are a 2/3 piece combo looking for a place to play on a Wednesday early evening. Possible hours 6:30 -9:30 would be ideal. Preferably every other Wednesday. We can trade off with another small group or DJ if necessary. We've been performing together for a couple years. Mostly outdoor party gigs. Just like to keep playing during the winter months. We play a mix of classic rock. Will work for gift cards, barter, money, or just make an offer. You help us, we help you.

I thought you became the house band after you got the gig.
    Edit to clean up the ad/spacing

JusttheBassics and Gaolee like this.
  17. Craigslist around here is comedy gold. Definitely on my morning coffee reading checklist.

This one gave me a giggle:

Will play music for food and water

We just want to play rock-n-roll. Maybe we can work out a deal. Or maybe we just get food and water.

18. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    That video made me want to vomit.....and then take a shower.

19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it wasn't a good video, although i didn't have quite such a visceral reaction, but man, that woman's got pipes.

20. Bassngtr

Bassngtr

Jul 21, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    That there is the funniest thing I've read in a while!!!