1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Watching the ball drop in Times Square...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    NOT!

One of my NY pals on Facebook put a post up yesterday asking how much they'd have to pay you to go watch the ball drop in Times Square.

I don't know a single New Yorker who ever even considered doing that.

No food or drinks.
    No restrooms.
    Standing for 5 or 6 hours.
    Freezing cold.
    Ridiculous commute.

And the list goes on and on....

Anyone here ever do that, or plan to do that?

Any non NYers think this would be a fun thing to do?

If you are sane like me, how much would they have to pay you to do that :)? Being completely honest myself, I think I'd wing it for about $10,000. Less than that I'd have to pass.

2. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I made the mistake one year of forgetting what day it was and going on an errand to the Times Square area on St. Patrick's Day. What a nightmare. I can only imagine that NYE would be a hundred times worse.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. I'll be home watching it on TV...but in reality I'll probably fall asleep and miss it all. It's currently -4 out right now as I am typing this with it projected to be -15 to -20+ tonight where I live so I am not planning on going out at all tonight, will be the first time in years my friends and I will not go out. It's cool with me though. I don't really want to go out just to freeze my arse off and risk getting frostbite, pay for overly priced drinks and not to mention put my life to chance because a lot of dumb amateur hour people who will get drunk and drive. With that said ya'll keep warm and here's to a great 2018!

the harp unstrung likes this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I don't like standing for long periods of time and the older I get, the more I don't like being stuck in large crowds. So I have zero interest in Time Square on New Year's eve.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well, joe, you're an expert on 'so many things new york'. but go ahead and sign up for that $10,000. i'll go in your place and we'll split the 'fee'!

no: i wouldn't do it "just to do it." :D

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is me doing my best impression of a guy who would never ever dream of cracking sophomoric jokes about balls dropping....

.....must....

......not.....

...make.....

......joke......:speechless:

kobass, hrodbert696, Stumbo and 4 others like this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Huge crowds, even without freezing temps, are not my happy place.
    I'll skip it.

You can call me Skipper.
    And I'll call you Gilligan.
    Wait, that's a post for a different forum :D

Stumbo and the harp unstrung like this.
  8. I went years ago and was so many blocks away you couldn't even see anything. That and bodegas selling over priced beers :laugh: made sure I wouldn't do that again.

Stumbo and the harp unstrung like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    New years Eve in Times Square
    Thanksgiving Day Parade
    St. Patrick's Day Parade

Etc.

Unless you have a spot inside a building on those streets, I can see no reason to do it. Even WITH those things, I'd rather stay home or local.

10. I'm averse to crowds to begin with, but that sounds too boring to be worth doing.

I would rather be sleeping in my warm bed.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's already windy and freezing and there's the wind blowing between buildings and morons are standing there trapped and sober for hours. It's ridiculous.

12. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Hell!
    There’s not one chance in a hundred that I’ll be awake at midnight tonight.

The last time I was was the last time I had a NYE gig...and that was 7 or 8 years ago.
    I’m 100% sure, but I didn’t get paid $10,000 that night.

13. Waiting all night outside Rockefeller Center for standby tickets to SNL was enough cold NYC streets for me, & it was March, LOL!
    The wind would come through the street hard & fast. I thought it was going to peel the skin right off my bones.

14. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Definitely not for me. I just hope everyone has a good time and the night goes off without incident.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's colder in other places. Absolutely. It's been colder here. But it's 15° right now and windy and really, really painfully cold outside and it's daylight. Still, it'll be packed to capacity and I truly don't understand. It's gotta be mostly tourists. Doing it for the experience? Woooo oh my god we're so crazy my instagram is gonna blow up yolo, and such? That's gotta a be it right? It's not general New York millennials or Brooklyn hipsters. I don't get it.

Mike N likes this.
  16. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

There are places here in San Francisco where you can go an watch the fireworks without the insane crowds. Not saying where they are. (Think hills). Those places cab get a little crazy too but not nearly as bad as downtown. Better views too.
    Supposed to be 49 degrees at midnight.

17. Go watch the peach drop in Atlanta.

18. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I think you should stay home and make tamales.

19. What's the deal with dropping a ball anyway? Is there some significance?

I don't even go out to our local NYE thing, especially this year.
    It's going to be so cold tonight, they postponed it until next weekend.

We're going out for an early dinner and back home, off the streets before amateur night get into full swing.

HNY to all ya all. :thumbsup:

20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was near Times Square on NYE in 1991 for some reason, but my friends and I were drinking champagne on the subway when the clock struck. I haven’t really been there since the peep shows were replaced with Planet Hollywoods.