Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watching the Grammy's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LoJoe, Feb 23, 2003.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    45 minutes into it and so far it has been 80% performances and 20% yik yak "Thanks to my mother, brother, manager, janitor" stuff. Pretty good ratio I'd say. My wife says I am too old to have seriously enjoyed the No Doubt performance. WRONG!!! :D

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fill me in on the Clash tribute.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I thought it was mostly a load of crap.

The fact that Nore Jones beat out Avril Lavigne, Pink, and numerous others for all those awards is simply apalling. Even if you don't like the other two, the fact that combined they've probably sold more records than all the nominees in every category that Nora Jones won combined says they deserve something.

I did notice Sheryl Crow bustin' a groove on bass though....I was quite impressed.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I was down at MSG earlier today. The place was a zoo!

5. I didn't watch. I went snowboarding.

My bum hurts. :bag:

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

WHAAAAAAAAAT??? I think Norah Jones deserved what she won.. especially over Avril Lavigne and pink. thats just My opinion of course

7. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Did anybody see Fred Durst when he was presenting? That guy was baked out of his mind.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Same here.

9. I think it is great to see Musicians like John mayer, Nora Jones and Vanessa Carlton win awards rather than over produced no-talents....

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Why?

I'm with Mr Diezman on this one, I think Norah deserved to win over those two.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Didn't watch....musicians mean too much to me rather than "acts."

Is it any wonder that the majors are expecting to post a record sales loss for the previous quarter, (not to mention the first 3 quarters of 2002???....I think not when morons like Fred "the Queen Bitch" are selecting who the majors record).

12. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I don't know if it's just me, but Nelly, with all those flames shooting....wasn't it kind of bad taste with what happened over at Rhode Island?

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I did watch a little bit of the grammy's and thought the N'Sync tribute to the Bee Gee's was pretty cool. Other than that, I don't remember much.

I don't really care about those award shows anyways. It's not how great your art is, it's how many units you sold that year, or how many critics kissed your ass. I always said if I got to a point in my music where I won a Grammy (not realistically speaking, but just saying), I doubt I would even show up. Honestly, I'm very surprised that Tool even showed up to accept their award when they won that one time. A week ago I was watching an interview with Waylon Jennings (RIP) and he was saying how he didn't even show to get inducted into the Country Music Hall of fame because of how much he despised Nashville and what all of those corporate suits did to him when he was trying to have artistic control in the early days.

I agree though, it's good to see people like Vanessa Carlton and John Mayer (godly talented) being represented.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Me too. I think Norah Jones deserved what she won. She makes damn good music.

I wish they'd spelled John Entwistle's name correctly in the "In Memoriam" section. Misspelling someone's name in a tribute like that gives it a "We'll never forget ol' whatshisname ..." quality.

15. LMAO!! THat was hilarious!!!

16. THE ROOTS PLAYED???? GAH! *sigh*

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I turned after S&G were done. I love that song.

18. Tight? sure its easy to be tight when playing easy stuff like that. Did the bass player play more than one note? And what was with the gibson double neck?

19. You know what I meant... I just wasnt that impressed..It could also be attributed to the ..Ehem... Singer... Yes kind of cool to see the DBl neck. Was hoping he would actually use the 12 string neck at some point though.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i second that!