1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Water + Active Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pizzazombie, Mar 19, 2013.

1. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    So my mum just dropped 1 LITER of water on my SBMM Ray 34. (Please don't ask me why) I took the water of the body, the neck and the bridge and I removed the battery, but I'm still worried because of the electronics. Will it damage the bass and what should I do to prevent further damage now? (I haven't plugged in the bass yet because I'm scared)

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Disconnecting the battery was the best thing to do. Now you need to let the electronics dry out COMPLETELY. If damage was done, it was while the battery was connected.

3. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    Thx. So should I just let it rest over night?

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Let it dry for a couple of days. Uncooked rice will absorb moisture and hasten things a bit. Sunlight will help too.

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    +1

6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 for leaving the control cavity open and letting it dry for several days. There's a good chance it'll be fine once it's dried out.

7. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    Do I have to open the control cavity to do that?

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would. Anything you can do to hasten evaporation will help.

9. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    I know this sounds sounds stupid but, how do I open it on my bass?

10. Don't you just need to unscrew the control plate? (and maybe the scratchplate, I'm not sure if there's anything under them on SBMM ones)

11. Since preamps are nothing more than resistors, capacitors and transistors/opamps, there is really nothing that could be damaged by water. The concern is for unsealed electromechanical parts, such as pots and switches. Many pots can be disassembled and wiped dry. Open-frame switches can also be disassembled, or blown dry with compressed air.

12. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    I opened the control cavity and didn't see any water there luckily, but to make sure I won't plug it in for a day. Would that be enough for the pots or should I really open them?
    Also, does water damage the trussrod?

13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    If you were unsure of how to open the control cavity, I'd recommend against trying to open the pots. But, you might want to get a can of De-oxit as a precaution (besides it's good stuff to have around). Once everything is thoroughly dry, use the De-oxit to clean your pots if they've become noisy. You should be good to go.

14. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The water will wick into tiny unseen areas via capillary action. The longer you let it dry out the better. Don't hurry things along because you don't SEE any moisture.

15. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    Do you think waiting until friday is enough long? And how do I open the pots?
    (Sry for my noob questions)

16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I should think Fri would be fine. I would not recommend you open the pots unless you are open to replacing them.

17. Plug it in and see how the pots behave. If there is no noticeable change in their behavior, then they are fine.

18. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    You could hasten the evaporation of water, (that you can't see) by warming the potentiometers with an electric blow dryer that you would use to dry your hair.