Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WATER IN MY CAB!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Oct 13, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i had to leave my stuff in my car over night. well i get to band practice the next day and i pull out one of my new peavey pa cabs. all i see is water in the horn.....DAMN IT!!!!
    so i pick it up and tip it over and water starts to come out..so that wasn't in use....

the speaker should be fine ( i don't think it got wet) but even if it did, just let it sit and dry, it should be fine...but what about the horn?

im going to open it up and make sure that all of the water is out..

next is to find where the leak is....damn fl rain

steve

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe it was condesation? is it cold where you were that night?

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd say the thing to worry about would be a warped cone or warped cabinet.

That aside, if all checks out, just wait for everything to completely dry before plugging it back in.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    no warped cab..its plastic..man i love that stuff..and the cone didn't get wet...

condinsation..nah..low was 70 ferh. high 80...it rained alot!!! and my car is 30 years old..

steve

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Impulse series? If so, they are weather resistant. I wouldn't reccomend leaving them out in a hurricane, but they were designed for it (getting wet that is, sorry)

6. Did water go into the throat of the horn??

If so, how much (would you estimate) went in there ??

:confused:

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    maybe a 1/4 of a cup...i just tipped it over and it poured out..should i try to use it today..its been 24 hours now

steve

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, it could be worse - it coulda been beer :D

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    or piss!!!!!

lol

steve

11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I would wait three days or so. You might want to set them next to a dehumidifier or a fan for the next day or so. This is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.:cool:

12. Maybe a cat got in your car and pissed in it. It's my cat's life ambition to get inside my bass cab, I have to lock the door even as he figured out how to open it. sheeesh! :mad:

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    lol....i had a dog that would open doors to get to candy....

steve

14. 1/4 cup?

Hmmmm:meh: .

If it were my cabinet, I would not run it until the tweeter was completely dried out, which would require some disassembly. :meh: (personally I enjoy fiddling with comp drivers, diaphragms, phase plugs, horns, etc etc)

Your horn tweeter is likely made of three major components: the compression driver (tweeter speaker), phase plug (interfaces the comp. driver to the horn) and the horn itself.

Water is likely still inside the cavity between the driver and phase plug, possibly in the phase plug, and might cause an issue by shorting the driver when you power it up.:eek:

At a bare minimum (if you don't feel comfortable disassembling the parts) ... attempt to dry it out thoroughly!!! Position the speaker suspended, face down, and direct a fan to blow breeze toward the throat of the horn. Eventually this will dry it out. The parts inside are likely a titanium or aluminum dome in the comp driver, a coated copper voice coil, an aluminum phase plug, and plastic horn. These items will not likely be directly damaged by the moisture. But if you power it up wet - there may be a short which could damage your amplifier or the driver itself.

JMO HTH

:)

15. Hey Steve-o, I live next door in Duh-Berry, and yes it has been a little damp lately. I agree with Bimplizkit, you should disassemble the horn and dry it out, rather than chance a dead short. that could be rough on your power amp.Good luck with the cab.

John

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Blimp's right as usual. I'd pull it apart and use a hair dryer on medium heat to dry it out.

Thank God it wasn't coke. That stuff is like battery acid.

17. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    this one?

[​IMG]

I wish I saw this for $140 before I bought my Aguilar...J/K

hope it dries out o.k...

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    YUP. that one..but i got it cheaper...