1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Water on a speaker cone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Let's make a deal... Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Hey,
    I was walking over to put a glass of water on my amp, and my foot caught on the carpet, and my glass tipped and some water got on 2 of the speaker cones on my 4x10...(not a ton, but one mark is about the size of my thumb, and the other around the size of a quarter or somehting...) Now I haveta practioce in like 15 or 20 minutes...is it gonna be cool or what should I do? As long as nothhing will get hurt, I'm a happy man...I'm thinking it's fine cuz it IS just water, but i just wanted to make sure...
    Let me know...
    Peace
    Graham

2. A small amount of water won't hurt... but be thankful that most speakers these days are high-tech blends of cellulose (paper) and any of the following: kevlar, carbon fiber and glass fiber. Many speakers are coated too... almost like varnished. Still water is not good for any paper product... too much water, a little agitation (sound vibration?), and you could end up with cellulose soup!

Just be a little more careful in the future... :p