Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Water on Enceladus!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
  2. My mom and sister's names are on a CD that's onboard the Cassini spacecraft.

I'm still wondering about this. How can water be in liquid form out there? Titan, another moon of Saturn, has liquid methane all over the surface. Now THAT'S cold. So how can Enceladus, which is kinda small (2000 miles in diameter) produce enough internal heat to liquify water?

Rock on
    Eric

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The only possibility that I can think of, other than that it's hot there, is that the water contains a lot of solvents. It could be under wack pressure conditions, but I don't know if that could account for the water being liquid.

4. Well, the pressure sure seems like a good explaination. Not only does it keep the water in a liquid state, but it would also explain the massive geysers.

This is why we need to explore the solar system. There's just too damn much interesting stuff out there.

Rock on
    Eric

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No this hasn't snug under my nerd-radar. I read it yesterday. Very cool stuff, the solarsystem just keeps amazing us, and it's just a very small part of our galaxy...There are so many exciting things out there, too bad one can't live to see them all.

[​IMG]

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why is it needed and whose need is it?

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever.

-Tsiolkovsky

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Tsiolkovsky was a great mind and visionary, but that quote is mere rhetoric to me.

I mean, why can we not remain here? And why not direct our efforts towards keeping our own planet alive and well? What signs are there that tell us that we as a species will survive the Earth? We've barely existed for 40,000 years (or so they say), why should we expect to exist for millions, or billions, more?

The only need I see to explore the solar system is to stimulate the fascination and curiosity of those interested in astronomy and space travel. Granted, they are quite many, and there are also other reasons to keep the space programs going than the ultimate goal of colonization... But I for my part don't need it, and I'm yet to hear a convincing argument that humanity as a whole needs it. Though I'm still willing to listen...

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Consider it the ultimate test, to survive the events that nature sets up. Right now, species- and culturewise, we can survive practically any continental-level natural disaster, because of how widely we have spread. There have been many civilized cultures that have not been able to do this.

The next test is a planet-sized disaster - add a few thousands, tens of thousands of years and you'll see the probablilty of a massive scale meteor hit go up. At that point, it's nice to be hanging around a different place, the Moon or Mars for example.

After that, should we survive that long, the sun is going to perish. By that time, we should have the solar system colonized and be spreading to neighbouring star systems.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, here's the science bit - as far as our *species* goes, we will almost definitely not be around several million years hence. That's just a statement about what a species actually is (a group of organisms capable of generating reproductively functional offspring) and about statistical probability (only a very small proportion of species have that sort of longevity). In other words, if you get in your time machine and zoom millions of years into the future, the chances of you finding anything alive that you could successfully mate with are pretty slim. That is not the same thing, though, as saying we will have no surviving descendants - we may, or we may not.

As for whether or not we should explore the solar system, I believe we should, but that's just a matter of personal opinion, neither right nor wrong. That right there is the whole point about opinions. Why so many people have trouble distinguishing their opinion from fact and then waste time trying to convince other people (and themselves, perhaps) that their opinion is "right" is beyond me.

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Those are a picture of your linens bro.

Ok dudes, here's why we need the space program: technology. Just like an investment in education, putting money towards this type of research usually pays off big time. Think about it. If we didn't have the space program, we would never have cell phones, the intarweb, tempurpedic mattresses (developed by NASA for real astronauts in real outer space) etc.

12. Modern wheelchairs, heart monitor machines, defribulators, sythentic crystal manufacturing, etc etc etc.

The real reason for exploration of our solar system is space. Right now out planet hold 6 billion people, and that number is shooting upward. Soon the amount of space needed to feed everyone will be larger than the amount we have. This means either mass kill-offs of populations, or colonial expansion.

Also, we can't mine the earth forever. There's only so much out there. But a single iron asteroid has enough iron in it to fill a full years output of all the iron ore mines of the earth combined. And there are literally hundreds of thousands of asteroids out there.

My final argument really is mostly opinion. For the last two thousand years, human kind has been not just self-destructive and damaging, but also curious and expansionistic. First it was just the major cultures of the far east and the Mediterrainian. Then Europe and Africa. Then the Americas. Finally Australia. Our species has never been one to be content with what space we have, we always want more. Well, there IS no more. We've mapped it and taken pictures of it and mined it and lived on it and there is very little left to explore. And I think that exploration and curiosity are two of the core aspects to being a human.

Rock on
    Eric

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read about his yesterday as well. Pretty cool stuff! They cited a number of theories regarding the water, mostly pressure and tidal forces.

As for space exploration - I bet there were people in Europe in the 1400's who were saying "why cross the ocean? We've got everything we need right here!" ;)

14. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    ...or Tang.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    God damn I love the Tang.

16. Never? I'm not sure you can say that with any certainty. The space program may have dictated when they were developed...but being items with uses outside of the space program, i think there's a decent chance they would have seen the light of day without it.

Mike

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm pretty sure if they got it lanced, the swelling and discharge would stop.

Then maybe a nice ointment.

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    How do they know it's water and not any other liquid? How do they even know it's liquid, and not just tiny pieces of solid particles?

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The water would stay liquid under the pressure of all the ice.