1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Water on the cones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hey fellas,
    Do you know if you get the cones of your speaker wet if it will cause damage? I don't mean soaked, just a little splash of water. The drummer and I were trying to get rid of a puddle, and he kicked the water and is splashed onto the speaker. It dried quickly due to the heat and sounded fine during the show, but I'm a bit concerned. It was just a little bit, but can that do damage?

2. Probabally no damage. If it sounded fine when playing at show levels, it probabally has no damage to it. If the cone paper is not warped or out of shape it should be just fine.

3. Hi.

+1 for probably no damage.

Our wedges get sometimes pretty soaked with beer and other beverages, no problems so far. Some cones are painted to protect them and I always try to cover the grilles with speaker foams when playing in "splashy" places, wedges and Pa alike.

It won't do the speakers any good to wash 'em, the tear/hole of an old cone seems usually to be originated from a discolored area, some liquid that has somewhat dissolved the bonding agent in the paper. Takes usually a long time / a lot of playing. A patch is a fix.

IME, no worries.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021