Water Rates?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brandt Scanlan, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Alright, I will admit that I'm new to the whole utilities thing, but I have to get started sometime, right? My landlord claims that the water bill (which is going to her, not us tenants) is around $30 per person per month. With seven of us, that's $210 dollars per month, which means we will be paying over $2500 for water this year!

Once again, I might be totally wrong about this, but I thought that an average annual water cost for a family of four was around $500-600. It would seem to me that either our landlord is confused, or utility rates here in Seattle are out of control.

Could anyone let me know if this figure seems right? Thanks for your help!
  2. Hi,
    I work for a water utility in Australia, your utility will be able to tell you how much they charge for a kilolitre (I guess in the states it will be some multiple of gallon) and also average consumption per household. You can also check your consumption at the water meter.

You should also check with your landlord what you are paying for. Where I work, the bill comes in "rates" which is the fee for being connected to the supply and "consumption" which is the actual usage of water through the meter. Here, landlords are responsible for the rates and tenants are responsible for the consumption unless a different agreement is reached between tenant and landlord.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    2 people in my house. I use about 30 dollars every 2 months.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    4 person house, about $65 a month.
  5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Is this a college student household? You'd be surprised at how much water roommates will use. Still, that does sound a bit high. If your landlord is reasonable, just ask for a copy of the bill. If he/she is not, then let them know you need it for tax purposes (educational expenses...room and board). You may find out that you're paying more than necessary, or you may find out that the rates are just high. Where I'm at, we pay for water, access to the water, water handling, for someone to keep the water wet, for someone to watch the "wet-water" guy, and for trash.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    our bill comes to $30 a month with 5 people living here, and were in college, shes full of poo.
  7. peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    0$ a month...on a well.
  8. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    well here we're on about £30 ($58) flatrate a month. that's between 4 of us.
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    $58/mo. for me and my wife. Most of that is actually not water use, but trash and sewer charges. Real water usage? We don't run a dishwasher, as with only two of us it is easier and quicker to hand wash, we capture the A/C condensate in a barrel for watering the plants, and sometimes we wash our cars by hand...though not often.
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Depending on where you live, the water bill may also include trash collection.
  11. I don't know about Seattle, but here in Salt Lake you can call the utility company and they will send you the last year's usage broken down by month. BTW, my usage averages about $10-$12 month Fall-Spring, and about $40/month for June/July/August when I water the lawn.
  12. Same here. I was tired of chlorine filled town water. We're right on the edge of town so technically we could have our own well if we got the permit to drill it. Last summer we finally drilled a 600 foot well, not only is the water quality better, but it doesn't taste like the chemicals they put in city water.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine is around $50 a month, including trash pickup and sewer.

Actual water usage is around $18 a month. Peaks in the summer when I have to top off the pool a few times.
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Sounds too high.
    Can you get a copy of the bill OR ask your local water board/company what their rates are?

We've been in the boonies for almost 20 years on one of these:

but not to worry. The state of Taxes is trying to figure out a way to charge us too...:mad:
  15. I miss having the well when I lived in NY. COLD, great tasting FREE water right out of the tap!! Here in FL we pay about $200 for water between the pool, irrigation system and 2 teenagers taking long showers :ninja: And............the water from the tap is warm and tastes like CRAP!! :spit:
  16. RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I am happy to pay for county water where I am. My last house was on a well and the water contained colloidal iron. Thousands of dollars worth of water conditioners couldn't make it right. I had to bring home bags of salt every week to feed the water treatment system. Sucked. Some wells are good and some are not.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Seems high to me, even for Seattle. The city website has a list of the water rates, and even how to read your meter. But hey, the landlord can charge what she wants I believe.

The only time we ever paid that much for a month was last summer when we put down 9,000 square feet of sod and had to water it like crazy for about three weeks. Normally, we are down around $50 for three people in our house.