Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Water Water everywhere..... so who's gonna pay for my gear?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh Man! I'm so incredibly angry right now. Since I moved into this (rented)house nearly 2 years ago, we've used the double garage as a storage area for all the music equipment I've hoarded over the years. It also doubles as a basic workshop where I dabble in some speaker cab building.

Well it's been raining quite hard for a few days now. Everything was fine last night but this morning is a different story. There's a river flowing through there. I'm yet to do a full damage assessment but at a glance, it looks pretty bad. Music Equip and water don't mix.

Some of it is insured, some of it isn't. Is this the sort of thing I can make the landlord reimburse me for?

Pics to follow once I find my housemate's digital camera.........

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sucks man!! Sorry to hear it. Maybe Mark could answer the question since he's an Aussie lawyer. He'll probably charge you by the hour though!

brad cook

3. Sorry to hear about that man. It really sucks losing a lot of gear.

I'm not sure how the law works in Australia, but here in the US, if any belongings in your apartment get damaged due to fire, flooding, etc., and you don't have renter's insurance, you're **** out of luck.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hour my butt....we charge per 6 minute unit :)

Im not really sure, if its a rental apartment / house and the damage was caused by some defect in the apartment, then the landlord should have to foot the bill. If however, the damage was caused by the placement of equipment or through an act of god, then you are probably on the hook for it unless you ahve specific contents insurance covering it.

At a guess id say the landlord is only up for the damage caused by defects in the property / fixtures. (ie if he failed to repair a leaking roof or if you could show that he had not cleaned the guttering and it caused the flooding). Where the damage is just "bad luck" you are probably on your own.

$55 please :D

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Estate Agent sent out their handyman and he left here scratching his head. The Water is comming from inderneath the concrete floor. There's a concrete beam up against the wall which goes under that roughly constructed wooden workbench. When you step on it, the whole concrete beam moves and water squirts out.

How the water gets there is a mystery. As a former builder, the handyman saw no reason why there should be any pipes or drains in that part of the house. However I can't see how the rain could have worked it's way in. Looks like they're going to have to cut the concrete and dig it out before they can decide what to do about fixing it.

Downloading pics now...........

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Amazingly the damage to equipment was minimal. One of my bass wedge speaker cabs took the brunt of it. In the process, offering a little bit of protection to the other gear. I'm also noticing how much of my gear has little feet or even casters to protect it from this exact thing.

So the damage bill is going to be no-where near what I thought at first.........

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You're forgetting the part about tearing apart your garage.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The landlord pays for that. Poor guy just rang me and I can hear the dollar signs in his voice. He's coming over tonight to inspect it himself befor he starts fielding quotes.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh.

10. The flooding is your own fault somewhat. You should have thought ahead and have your valuables on crates or cinderblocks like me ^^.