Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

waterslide decal test

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, Feb 22, 2005.

1. First time using water slide inkjet decal paper. Here's a test run on scrap flamed maple. I plan to use this decal on my instruments from now on. Anybody else using waterslides?

Decal Ramirez Guitars

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Very nice, does this paper work in any inkjet, and is it available at normal office supply stores, or did you order it somewhere?

3. I got a kit off of some guy on ebay. It includes spray and a couple of sheets of decal paper. Problem is you can only use their paper and their spray.

I'm going to order some paper from www.decal-paper.com that you can use with regular krylon or any other clear gloss acrylic based spray.

It is supposed to work on any ink jet printer, although they recommend a high resolution one. Mine is an $80 HP that does 1200 dpi and that gave me very good resolution.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Check out hobby shops...t

5. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Nice. Is it black only or does it do color, too?

6. I got a ream from decal-paper.com too and worked with it this weekend. It's totally fine with my cheapo epson photo printer. You mist over a coat of clear acrylic to make it waterproof and then it's ready to apply.

High reward, low investment.

Attached Files:

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    You bought a whole ream? :eek: .t Thanks for the link!

8. No wait, I bought 20 sheets. Lost my head there... :oops:
    \

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the info, now i just have to design a logo...

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I tried some waterslide paper, but I've had much better luck with clear laser labels from Office Depot. No mess, no waiting. Just peel and stick.

11. how's the thickness on those? With the decals you don't have to do much overcoating, just a "sealer" coat. i thought about using overhead transparencies (remember those?) but they are like.5 mm

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    The sticky laser labels are thinner than the water slides. I could never get the waterslides to stick to bare wood. I had to spray some sealer on first. The laser labels stick great to bare wood then you can seal and clear over them...and yes, I've used clear overhead transparency film too with a little artist spray adhesive on the back to make them stick. They're too thick really. I couldn't get ink jet ink to stick to them and the heat from a laser printer kinds of melts them, but they were still workable. I've also had vinyl letters cut out at Fast Signs. That works well too.

13. Those clear labels are a very good idea, I'll have to try that. The decal paper is cool but not very cost effective as you usually use a lot of paper for notalotta decal.

14. I beg to differ. in a single page of water slide decal paper I was able to print about 40+ decals including serial number on each. Just coat the whole page and cut out as needed. Just dip the cut out in water and save the page-full-o-decals in an envelope and drawer (to keep from scratching).

15. Can polyurethane be applied over these decals?

I'm going to order some. I was planning on finishing the headstock with poly, applying the decal, and then putting another couple of coats of poly over that.

16. the decal-paper.com decal paper is designed to be used with acrylic, I don't know how it would behave with polyurethane. Plus acrylic dries fast and costs 3 bucks a can @ walmart. you shouldn't have any problems putting other finishes over the acrylic. I used nitro over acrylic without problems.

17. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I used SuperCal water slide paper purchased from a local hobby shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but about those clear laser labels. Those work with inkjets, too, right? What's the largest size they come in (my h'stock logo is 4.0" x 1.25"). I bought 8 sheets of waterslide paper, but if the clear labels are thinner and easier to apply, I'll use them instead.

19. Funk, Yes, I seal my headstock decals in Minwax spray poly all the time. The same application rules apply - light mist coat first followed by a heavier flood coat. Warm your can before spraying.

You guys my live to regret the mailing label decision down the road. The adhesives used on those labels are notorious for turning yellow with age.

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    After seeing the price for a pack of clear labels ($25 for 250 2" x 4" @ Office Depot), I'll stick with the 8 sheets of waterslide I got off eBay for $12 (shipping included).

$25 for labels... that's freaking crazy...