1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Waterstone 12 string bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edpal, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    HAs this already been started? Tell me I'm first in line just once in my life.:crying:
    Waterstone 12 string Club member #1(unless I am corrected).

2. I'll be no. 2 in the Waterstone TP 12 string bass club! I own six of them!

3. weemac

weemac Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    I guess that makes me #3 :hyper:

emac.

4. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Good God - 6!?! I thought I was a bit out there with a total of 8 basses(for a married guy) - I realize I could have as many as I want if I was single..... LOL.

It was funny - this past weekend I played my Dean 10 stringer instead of my 6 string "go-to" bass. The guitarist was hurried and on the other side of the alter area(church musicians here) and he didn't figure out where the sound was coming from. But afterwards he mentioned that my playing was really interesting for him that morning. I think the higher drone strings are easier for people to lock onto, sonicallyy. I am going to start another thread about technique on coursed basse....

12stringbassist likes this.
  5. Yeah, well, I DO have too many basses! I will hang on to them as long as possible, but then who knows?

The Waterstone TP 12 string bass is always a hit when I play it or even show it to other musicians. They certainly are rare around these parts, and sound like nothing else!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    definitely intrigued. so what's the deal are they mail order only? i haven't seen them around.

7. IMG_0107.

Nephilymbass, Sartori and 1976grabber like this.
  8. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Mail order direct from manufacturer. I have mine cranked down to BEAD, using bottom four strings off a 5 string set(cheaper than "down-tune" sets) and two sets of piccolol bass strings for the octave strings.

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not much for joining clubs.... however, I do have a Waterstone TP-12 34" and a Hamer Chaparral B12L. Previously owned a Dean Rhapsody 12 and Hamer B12S.

[​IMG]

nixdad and 1976grabber like this.
  10. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Sweet! Heh, the clubs are just for fun...they mean absolutely nothing in the real world.:bassist:

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Any clips of these?

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just checked out their website and all i say available was the new series 4 12 string model with a 32" scale and avail in 3 colors (different colors seemed to be avail for the 4 and 8) do they still make 34" scale? is it worth it to call them for color scale options? or do they just make runs of whatever they feel like?

13. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    AFAIK, all current production TP-12s are 32" scale (with 20 frets, not 21 as stated). User reports suggest that the 32" model is both easier to play and sounds better than the 34". Never tried one myself....

14. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Definately call them, they may have a few odd items in stock but don't want to use space on theuir website to advertise them(figuring there will always be someone who calls :) Some of their earlier TPs were 34" I believe, so evil-bay may be an option if you wait long enough. And look at basses for sale at www.12stringbass.net

Waterstone doesn't actually "make" the guitars - they design them, make some small customizations, but basically they are having them made in Korea. Some very high quality instruments come out of Korea. I have their Ozone bass(12, no longer made), which is a solid body, kind of heavy but great to play with a nice 4.5" wide strap on. :bassist:

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, that seems to be a trend, but usually i've seen korean basses as lower priced models of an american or other company. Not knocking korean basses at all, i like a lot of them, but still seems odd to have a guitar company and make none of the instruments. :confused:

16. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Kind of like all those things that say Sears on them...Sears has never made anything.;) Fender,Gibson, Washburn....all made in Korea unless stated otherwise. Funny thing, except for the fingerboards, almost all the wood comes from the USA or South America.
    We simple have good wood. :bag:

17. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Here's my TP-2 from 2004. The first edition with the Petersson decal and the wide neck. Bridge pickup is a Mikkihouse Charlie Christian -type and the bass is modded to stereo. The neckpickup is the stock one, just covered with the same celluloid. The stereo wiring works like a dream, Waterstone should really offer the stereo option on their stock models.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nixdad and 1976grabber like this.
  18. stonerman2001

stonerman2001

Feb 17, 2013
    Hello fellow 12 string slingers! I've owned a custom 12 string a friend on the road made for me years ago, and am looking to get a new one. It looks as if Waterstone doesn't make their TP-12 basses any longer? I've asked around various dealers and searched online, the best I could do is see some overpriced TP-12s on eBay.

Any ideas as to where I might be able to buy either a Waterstone TP-12 or perhaps a Hamer, either new or used somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help!

19. Check again or contact Waterstone directly. I thought they had the TP 12 string bass in production, in black finish only, 32" scale, for just under $800.

But things may have changed.

1976grabber likes this.