Watler Woods for slab bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 14, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting a WW's amp for my URB.o they sound good also with the slab bass?
  2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anybody have any input:D
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Work great! If you want it super brown you may consider a sans amp or something but It works very well.

4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One if my idols is a local player named George who used a WW 1200w power amp for years. He had a absolutely beautiful sound wether slapping or fingering. He ran it through a SWR Henry 8x8.

His car was stolen recently and all his gear was in it at the time. He's playing through a borrowed GK and hates it. The WW is better everywhere. But it should be for the price........
  5. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm really interested in tring a WW's with an AccuGroove whappo jr. cab:eek:
  6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm using a WW Ultra with Bergantino HT112's. AWESOME!!!:bassist:
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The older WW amps sound more tubey than the current ones; Walter keeps evolving his designs. I use mine with an old P bass for blues and it just kills.

The two channels means you can set the EQ and volume different for your BG and URB, probably the best feature of the amp for me!!!

You will not be disappointed using it for BG.
  8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have to disagree about the tone of the new model and the old ones. I've several of Walter's amps since 1980. The older ones up until the Electracoustic were as solid state sounding as it gets, whereas the newer ones are very warm and tube like. The tube tone was what Walter was aiming for when he redesigned his amps.

Now, if someone were to send an older model to Walter for updating, he can make the older ones sound much warmer and it may be that's what you have?

The older amps are good sounding amps, but they definitely have their own sound. The new ones are very powerful and very contemporary in it's tonal capabilities.

Bottom line,
    Any Walter Woods is good to have.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Mine is 80s vintage. I got it used so I have no idea if it hs been tweked since it was initially built.

As far as "tubey", what I mean is it seems a bit compressed and had less of a "snap" to the attack then other solid state amps I own. In that respect it sounds like tube heads I used to use.

Whatever. Sounds good to me...
  10. That would sound incredable, i'm sure! that's pretty much my dream amp.

Or a WW hi-powered, with an El Whappo, and a Whappo Grande. That would actually kill me.

11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Is there a webpage for the Thunderfunk amps?

Or for Walter Woods' amps, for that matter?
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Unfortunately, I don't think so.
  14. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Watler Woods for slab bass??

I was just curious, is this a new technique? :D

sorry, I could not resist.
  15. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I have proof that I'm the second person ever to attempt slab bass.
    ;) :D