Watt / Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, May 4, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I've read through dozens of threads that I got from a search, but don't know if this question has been addressed.

I recently changed my entire rig from a Walter Woods "Hi-Power" amp which is 300 watts @ 8 ohms & 450 watts @ 4 ohms. It was replaced by the "Ultra Hi-Power" model, which is 800 watts @ 8 ohms & 1200 watts @ 4ohms. (Aside from the power section, the amps are identical)

My cabinets also changed during this time, so I wasn't able to do an A/B test between the amps with the same cabinets.

So, my question is if I had been able to A/B the two WW amps with the same cabinets, would I notice a difference in tone between the two at lower volumes?
    I know at higher volumes, the Ultra would be more powerful and cleaner, but at equal reasonable volumes, would the two amps sound the same, or does all the extra power affect the tone?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Generally speaking I guess a more powerful amp (given it has good specs) could give you a cleaner sound even at lower levels as transients and high-frequency components are reproduced more correctly. With the two high-quality amps you compare I doubt there would be any major difference though.