Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

watt has a hard time answering questions on tour!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by watt, Apr 19, 2003.

1. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

folks,

you know I dig this forum much and love the interractions but I have to admit that while I'm on tour (just finishing the third week in a bit), it's very hard to find the time to properly get over here and answer stuff. that doesn't mean I don't care and am frustrated by all the busyness a tour can bring but I do want to let you know this puts some limitations on me while I'm out here working the towns w/the boom stick. I get done w/this hellride at the end of may and will get to everyone's posts, I promise. it breaks my heart to make you cats wait so let me tell you I'm very sorry but will try to make it up to you the best I can.

keep being creative on your bass, work at making it sing and cry, dream and dance!

on bass (on tour), watt

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We understand, man. We as well love talking to you, but how does that old saying go? A bass riff is worth a thousand words... or something like that. :) We could sit around talking about music all day, but it doesn't compare to playing it, living it.

Take care on your tour, don't overwork yourself :) Have fun.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mike, we'd rather have you onstage rockin' out than sitting in front of a computer, anyday:)

4. mike watt you are a great guy an i love your band youand the second men i saw you guys on easter when you plaed in jacksonville , fl and i saw you guys last time you were here also i just wanted to say thanks and when are you gonna come out with a album w/ the second men thanks again for your music and i hope you have a good tour

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Watt, I'm gonna try to be at the Grog Shop in Cleveland. Suggesting I can get their. :bassist:

6. watt

hey all,

tour is done, whew. there's a few more gigs w/this crew for a bit (one's in s.f.) but the major part of the hellride is done.

it was intense for me in a lot of ways but I think I got a little more together w/the music part - though the emotional part was tested surely. I had some equipment stuff too but that should be way-low on the priorities list in my book.

I wrote about things that went down on tour and you can read it on my hoot page (http://hootpage.com), I'm putting up the last three days of the tour tonight. there's fiftysix already up now.

ok, I'm back in q and a mode...

on bass (and back in pedro), watt

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Glad to have ya back, man. :)

8. watt

hi,

thank you much - glad to be back... in one piece!

on bass, watt

9. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    watt...saw the band in charleston, sc and i was amazed. i've never seen someone punish a bass like that. i have to admit that i incorporate one of your moves now in my playing. i was also impressed by the fact that after the show you grabbed the bag and started slinging merch and talking to the folks that came out. i've been four-stringin' it 13 years now and have encountered way too many musicians who, as soon as they score a few gigs, start with the "boy i wish i had a roadie" and "i don't have to carry my amp blah blah blah." then they go hide in the shadows. thanks for being a bass player.

10. watt

hi,

thank you much for the kind words. I liked that gig a lot, liked playing for the folks in your town.

I handle my own stuff, yes - this is the kind of punk tradition I am from and haven't found good reasons to do it different.

I think it's great that people have open enough minds to check out some new sounds or different ways of working the bass. much gratitude from myself for such.

on bass, watt