Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watt Records

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by mattzink, Jun 24, 2002.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Mr. Watt:
    I'm sure i'm supposed to be asking bass questions, but instead I'll ask this: Is it possible to pick up Dos and Bootstrapper CDs now a days? Where?

I met you and d.boon when i was about 13. (i'm 30 now) You guys opened for REM on the "Fables of Reconstruction" tour at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN. Long story short: your bass playing is only a part of the reason you are hugely influenceal to me. And d.Boon's death is the only death of a musician that felt close to home. glad to hear you're still out doing something completely new - can't wait to hear any new stuff. be well, matt

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    oh wow just to know watt played at my college makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, cool. Thinking about returning??

3. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i didn't actually attend Butler - i'm a Marian College grad. when i saw watt at butler i was in seventh grade. some in the crowd actually booed the minutemen, anxious to see r.e.m. the crowd's treatment of the minutemen was a bit embarassing. but the minutemen fans who were there were loud and proud to be sure. and if i went to butler, you can be darn sure i'd be warm and fuzzy about watt playing my alma mater as well.

be well, matt

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

matt,

you can get the latest dos record, "justamente tres" at kill rock stars (http://www.killrockstars.com) and by calling sst records and talking to greg ginn (http://www.sstsuperstore.com or phone # 1-888-746-7778) might get you the first two dos records and the bootstrappers one.

I miss d. boon much too and think of him every day. thank you for your kind thoughts and memories.

on bass, watt

5. watt

matt,

here's a link to dos at the kill rock stars site:

http://www.buyolympia.com/killrockstars/sid=932575075/?Search=dos

on bass, watt

6. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    thanks for the info - you can be sure i'll check it out. hope all is well, matt
    ps. don't you have a jazz record coming out soon?

7. watt

matt,

we understood that might happen cuz lots of these gigs were for very squarejohn crowds. however, we dug having the chance to get turned on to folks who might otherwise never see us. this is the risk when you try and find your own voice but is well worth the gamble. better to go down swinging than to go out on a called strike.

still to this day though, I get told by lots of cats that that rem tour was the first time they got turned onto us.

the rem cats were very happening people and were the reason we were on that tour. they wanted us to blow minds as much as we did.

on bass, watt

8. watt

matt,

my next record is a piece dealing w/the sickness that almost killed me two and a half years ago. I'm using an organ-bass-drum trio and it'll be called "the seconman's middle stand." should be out in the spring.

on bass, watt

9. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i look forward to checking it out. need to increase my wattage now that i've really been hitting the bass hard again.

if you don't mind, one more question: i've been waxing and waning on weather or not to get an ashbory bass. i noticed from your website that you have one. what are the pros and cons of those dog bones?

when i saw you guys at butler, on the fables of reconstruction tour, i was freakin blown away by your sheer energy and musicianship. one of the songs in your set was "substitute" by the who. i have a very vivid memory of the explosiveness of that song, particularly since the who is a favorite band of mine (john entwhistle especially). i also remember you guys starting your set with "anxious mofo", another fave.

when rem played, i remember ducking out for a smoke and bumping into d.boon and george hurley. man, what a night. we got 'em to sign our sweatshirts. (d. boon asked my friend matt if he could write "u.s. out of el salvador" on matt's army parka. "better not" he said "it's my dad's coat". you could tell we were little jr. high goofs.)

anyways, i was bummed 'cause i didn't get to meet you and you were always one of my favorite players. i did later get to meet you on fIREHOSE'S last tour (i think). i didn't know how you guys would top bazooka's set, but you sure played your rears off.

anyways, enough with the memories. sorry to bore ye if indeed you were bored. be well and thanks for the correspondence, matt z.

10. watt

hi,

thanks again for those memories.

the ashbory is a hard beast to play cuz of the tiny scale and the rubbery strings. I also have a hard time find replacements - just broken the 'g' string (again). you have to use baby powder to keep your fingers from sticking to them. it is a trippy and unique bass though.

on bass, watt