Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watt...some studio help

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by dunivan, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dunivan

dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    Mike,

I come to you again...(sorry if its bothersome).

Im recording tracks for my upcoming EP (Just me and my bass...acoustic guitar on a few tracks) and im doing it in a home studio.

I think i heard youve done this before, and am wondering if there are any pros/cons to mic'ing the amp, or just plugging my bass into my comp

any help on that would be great

cant wait to catch you on the next tour

dunivan

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

dunivan,

I'd say to try it both ways and see which sounds best to you - let your ears be the judge! a third option is to do both - use a direct box to send a signal to the amp (so it can be miked) and then a line can go to the 'puter for the direct signal (two separate tracks of bass that can be mixed later). I like the countryman direct box but I hear some come from the factory lame so it'd be good to try it in the store first maybe. another option might be to go to a compressor first but you can also add compression after. you don't want to clip though cuz digital distortion is pretty lame. experiment! that's what's great about home recording.

on bass, watt