1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wattage and speaker power distribution

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 18, 2006.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    If I connect in parallel a 410 400watt cab and a 210 200watt cab, to a 500 watt head, how will the power be distributed.

Will it be 250 watts per cab, or about 85 watts per speaker, or does it depend on how the cab is wired inside......

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Brought my amp to the shop today. I thought that it made too much noise and speaker movement on shut off. I found out from the net that this is common on GK heads, and that's what the technician confirmed. He told me that he might be able to slightly reduce the shut off discharge, but not eliminate it. He asked me to search the net to see if there was an electronic modification available that he could do, but he did not know of any, so, if anyone's got an idea.......

3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    We would need the impedance of each cabinet to give you an answer.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Both are 8 ohms

5. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    If both cabs are 8 ohms, then each cab would get 250 w, if the head is rated 500w at 4 ohms.

What I normally do when shutting off my amp, is to turn it down to zero, then turn it off. No noise or pop.

6. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Assuming you are using the amp mentioned above....

The 800RB puts out 300W into 4 ohms, 200W into 8 ohms on the low output, and 100W into 8 ohms on the high output.

Ideally, you would want twice the power going to the 4x10" as the 2x10".

If you are using an 800RB with both cabinets on the low output (300W@4ohms), each cabinet will get 150W.

If you plug the 4x10" into the low output and the 2x10" into the high output, you will get 200W into the 4x10", and 100W into the 2x10".

Either way, you will get 300W maximum. The biamp feature would allow you to run highs only to the 2x10", which may or may not be an advantage.