Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wattage/headroom problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slovenly, Jul 16, 2005.

1. slovenly

slovenly

Jul 16, 2005
    Hey all. I've recently purchased an old Traynor Bassmaster. It's great sounding both as a guitar and bass amp, but I'm wondering if it's enough to gig with (in regards to bass.) It's plenty loud to compete with other instruments, but after reading other threads regarding wattage, headroom and clipping I'm getting gunshy. The amp tends to get "growly" around 6 or so (and that's what I was going for anyways) but I'm wondering how harmful that is for my speakers and if so, what kind of cab I should look into for this situation.

2. How many watts you got compared to guitars, how loud do you plan on playing, what kind of music... How many/what wattage of speakers do you have?

All of that makes a difference. Otherwise, can't say.

Randy

3. slovenly

slovenly

Jul 16, 2005
    :rolleyes: ugh I forgot to specify all of that

It's a 50 watt Bassmaster being run through a 2x12, 150 watts. No problem being heard over the other instruments. Guitarist is playing through a 50-watt amp. I know it's conventional wisdom for a bassist to have more wattage than the guitarist, but this current situation seems to work. Seems. Hence this post :)

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say if it's loud enough, and you like the tone use it :D I'm playing through a Bassman 135 (100watt) head, and it's loud enough.