Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wattage meter for my amp. who makes them??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Is there a device I can attach to my speaker output and monitor how much power I'm putting out? so I can see if i'm running out of headroom and needing a bigger amp?

I run a SWR Bass 350 and can seem to get it loud enough, but sometimes doesn't seem like enough. I'm buying my second speaker cab from EA because my first pair of EA CXL-110L didn't sound right even at low volumes. and many people without knowing me or my habits assume that I'm trying to push my amp too hard. I'm not a volume freak and I think I know what distortion sounds like and would NEVER run distorted. My 110s sounded funny from the first day, literally! I just hope I won't have a repeat with the CXL-112L, I'm starting with one and if I REALLY like it I'll get two.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A power meter won't show you much as we use a lot more peak power than continuous power.

If you think that you're power shy, borrow (or buy) a power amp and try it out. If you buy from a place like GC you can return it if you find that it doesn't make any difference.

You won't hurt your Bass 350 by running it without a speaker, when you use it as a preamp.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    oh, I wouldn't use my bass 350 for a preamp. I got my RBI :cool:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you want to know if your Bass 350 is running out of steam, I would recommend that you use it as the preamp when trying a poweramp with your cabinets. If you introduce too many variables, you won't know which part of the circuit is causing the problem.

However, if you're using the RBI as the preamp and your Bass 350 as a power amp, continue to use it while conducting the experiment that I suggested.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I remember reading a thread on TB where Bob Lee from QSC explained in great detail how to convert wattage output into Volts, thus making it easy to measure with a standard multimeter.

I'd search for ya but I'm at work..........

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    basically a friend of mine is willing to help me make a meter with some a/c volt meters, old analog kind with selector switch to change "range" of meansurements. he said also if I could measure the dBs of my speaker and knew the amount of head loss in the speaker I could also convert back to watts also, but I just want a box where I selelct my speaker load and wattage range and watch the needle.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What you really want is an oscilloscope and a test tone generator to drive the amp input. A regular voltmeter will not react fast enough to catch the peaks. Hey, that'll only set you back $5-600!!! :D

If you're really paranoid about the wattage, just find an amp tech and pay him to do the meaurements.