1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wattage of 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhilBoBaggins, Mar 19, 2013.

1. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    Hey everyone! I have a quick question about cabs.

I just purchased an Aguilar tone hammer 500, which sounds amazing but has 500 Watts of power.

The cab I bought with it is a Acoustic B410, which for somereason is terribly mislabeled as having more than 500 watts at guitar center, so when i purchased it I thought it would be fine. So, i have to make a decision of returning the b410 and getting a new cab because it only has 400. =(

However, I'm really new to this stuff and I was wondering if I got an acoustic b115, which has 250 watts, in combination with the 400 from the 410, would that be a safe alternative to buying a new cab with a higher wattage alone? I was just thinking it would be awesome to have the 115 in combination wkth the 410 to bring out that low B on my six string lol. If you guys have an alternative, or a better cab thats in the same price range, please tell me!!

Thanks!

2. Not taking the bait.
    I will say if the 410 cab is 8 ohm you don't have to worry as the amp will not output 500 watts with an 8 ohm cab. More than likely around 350 watts.

If your bargain Acoustic 410 will not handle "the low B". You need to dump it for a better cab.

3. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    What about when I have to turn it way up for gigs? wouldnt it damage the cab?

4. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    I also chose the 500 over the 350 so that it would be more powerful, so would not getting the second cab be a waste of power?

5. Only if it is a junk cab. You're putting less power into it than they say it can take FROM an amp head. If the cab is a 4 ohm cab then yes you can put more power into it than it is rated for.

6. Just looked the amp up at 8 ohms it only outputs 250 watts. Adding a second 8 ohm cab (same as you have) will increase the amps power to 500 watts and as a bonus be be MUCH louder due to the increase in speaker cone area those watts are pushing.

7. Get two of the 15's and you'll be right. But never assume you can pump 300W worth of power into 300W worth of cabs. It doesn't work like that. Read the stickies and come back in a week.

Small correction:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Can put" is more accurate IMHO, as the amp does have a volume knob ;)

Use your ears, dude...if your cab sounds like it's going to blow up, it will, so turn it down from that point. Done.

9. Power Output: 500 watts into 4 ohms, 250 watts into 8 ohms.
    Not impressed ;). Supposed to sound good though.

10. Thwe way i read it he was giving permission, and OP is very green so might read it that way, owing to non existent magic properties of 4 ohm cabs assumed.

I like your "if it sounds like it's about to blow up, it will" line , mind if I steal it?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just give proper credit and make your royalty payments on time.

:D

12. Hell with a nice amp like the TH500 I would want something nicer than the "bargain basement" Accoustic cab. A pair of nice efficient 115 cabs would be killer.

Ditch that PoS 410 if you dont like the sound of it.

13. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    Do you have any suggestions for a 115?

14. What is your budget?

Personally with that amp, I would be looking a greenboy Bassic 115 loaded with the 3015 (non LF) driver. Its a very efficient yet full driver. That cab will handle a B string no problem.

If that is the way I was going I would be doubling up on those cabs. They will be more efficient than an Ampeg 810e (louder with less power), will go lower, and would weigh significantly less.

15. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    I'd like to spend $500 or less. Im in college and I thought it would be better to get a good head and possibly get a better cab later

16. IMHO the cab makes much more of a difference than the cab. For that price I would be looking at getting a premium cab, used.

17. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    Is there any 115 that really sticks out? I looked at an aguilar 115 and I know that they are good but there were no used =( Do you have a suggestion?

18. For my ear I would be looking at that Bassic 115 I mentioned, or perhaps building a TL-606 in 1/2" ply and tuning for the 3015.

As far as recommendations on used gear, you have to look at what is available to you in your location.

If you are looking at GC, my favorite cab there is the Ampeg PF-115LF.

19. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    That cab is only 349 new.. If I decide to get that ill be a little below my budget =) I'll do some research on it.

20. Two of them would be killer with that amp.