Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wattage on a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ive got a 200 watt 4 x 10 cab right now..
    a 400 watt head..
    if i buy a 400 watt head will my bass be twice as loud..
    can someone explain wat the increase in wattage wud do.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but it's my understanding that to get twice the volume you need 10 times the wattage. Two times the wattage should increase the volume by about 3dB.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The short answer is 2x power will give approximately 3db of increase in loudness.

All amplifiers are not created equal though.
    Different tube amp and SS amp designs, different power supply designs all affect the actual output and headroom available relative to the amp's rated power output.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i see i see...
    so with my current rig..a yorkville xs400h into a old 4x10 200 watt cab..im only using 200 of my 400 watt head correct?

and if i did get a 400 wat cab...wud the increase in volume be noticable?
    thanks.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    cabinets are louder or quieter bassed more on sensitivity ratings then anything else altough there's plenty of gamesmenship going on with those specs. Cabinet voicing has a huge impact on preceived loudness.

The wattage rating of a cabinet only refers to how much it can handle before the voice coils melt. It's more a judement of how well the speakers dissipate heating at the coils then anything else.

If you've ever had the experience of having to change out an 18" sub speaker on the fly at a gig, you wouldn't believe hot those things can get. If you grab onto the magnet structure on a fresh blown speaker, you better be wearing gloves or you'll be leaving melted skin behind.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cabinets power ratings do not give any indication of volume. If your amp is putting out 400W, then it will put out 400W into a 400W cab, a 25000000000W cab, and a 1W cab.

Of course, a 1W cab would melt, but thats another story.

Ok?

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Any cab will 'receive' how ever many watts the amp feeds it.
    Your 4x10 cab will recieve the full output of your xs400h if you crank the amp enough (and probably a bit more).

Most ratings are in WRms, a constant level input with no pauses in the input signal.
    With typical musical input, a cab can handle pulses larger than its Rms rating because the pauses (even though very brief) give it a chance to dissipate heat.
    Most people consider it good to have two times to three times more amp power than the speaker cab power rating -- so your situation is cool.
    Of course, you have to use your amp power judiciously. If you run into clipping (severe overdriving of the signal) anywhere along the signal path, you could potentially damage something in your system (including your cab's speakers).

Only if the 400W cab puts out more decibels per watt (more efficient) than your current cab.

Hope that helps.

8. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    okay..sounds good.
    i am still going to get a new cab after i buy my new geddy lee..
    i was looking at a GK 410SBX...it looks like a really decent cab.
    but if down the road i was looking for more volume..
    if i added a 2x10 on top of the 4x10...

im not sure if this makes sense...cause i suck at all the techincal stuff..
    but id have a 400 watt head...
    a 400 watt 4x10 cab
    and a 200 watt 2x10 cab...

would my rig be alot louder than my current 200 watt 4x10?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Adding speakers iis a great way to get more volume. Before you do it, check the cab impedance. If your current cab is 8 ohms, then get another 8 ohm cab. If your current cab is 4 ohms, then don't buy anything without checking if the head can handle loads lower than 4 ohms. Most amps can't.

10. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey Big-Wig, I play through an xs400h with the xc410, I practice and play with the master at 4-5 and let me tell you it’s loud. I use a pbass through the 0 dB input with the compressor off and every thing else is at midpoint or 12:00 o’clock. From what I understand your 410 is a used one that you got a deal on, are you sure that the woofers and crossover are the original ones? Have you tried another amp through with similar results?

I recommend that, if you want, take your amp and bass to your local L&M and try some of the cabinets there, you need to try some anyways before you buy one! And I’m sure that the guys there will be able to help you out, you can’t loose except a little time. Good Luck.

And by the way the amp can go to 4 ohms not 2, that means max of 2X8 ohm cabinets or one 4 ohm cabinet.