Wattage ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Old School P-Bass, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Does it bother anyone else how a specific bass cab is advertised as a 500 watt cab but the rating (tag on the back of the cab) specifies a rating of 400. I know how they get away with it but it makes it hard to compare apples to apples. The GK 1x15 is advertised through Sweetwater as a 500 watt cab but the specification tag reads; Rating 400 watts. When I look at other cabs, the advertised rating matches the rating on the back of the cab.

2. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    To which specific GK are you referring, the Neo 1 x15?

3. Gallien-Krueger Neo 115-III 1x15" 500-watt Cabinet with Horn 8-Ohm

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    62CEAC47-3113-474D-AA1D-B1254F75D9CE.png

6. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Well there does appear to be a discrepancy of some sort... even in GK's own literature, it says the cab is rated at 400 watts, yet they say the 15" driver in it is rated at 500 watts. The difference between the two isn't large, being something less than 1 dB, but it is somewhat puzzling.

Old School P-Bass likes this.
  7. I believe it has to do with RMS vs rated watts. RMS is 500 watts and 400 watts is the rating. However I say, advertise the rating that is stamped on the cab.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    And realistically, 250 watts is probably about what that speaker can handle thermally.

9. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    No, it doesn't bother me unless it blows at a reasonable volume. It is just a guide and nothing more. I've run 500 rated cabs with a 1,000 watt rms amp many times and had no problems. The difference between 400 watts and 500 watts is rather miniscule in the grand scheme of things. Don't let it bother you.

May the Funk be with you.

TheDayMan and Old School P-Bass like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Using a 500W driver does not give you a cab that can handle 500W of deep bass. It's fairly normal for mechanical power handling below 100hz to be less than the driver's RMS power rating.

Rip Van Dan, 707GK, dbsfgyd1 and 2 others like this.
  11. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Peak RMS vs Program RMS.

12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Maybe the driver is rated at 500 watts RMS, but in that particular enclosure it's only good for 400 watts RMS. The effective power handling of a cabinet is often much less than the thermal rating of the drivers in it.

Or it could just be a typo, I'd email GK for confirmation.

Wasnex and Old School P-Bass like this.
  13. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This is from the Gear4Music page:

Gallien Krueger NEO 115 III 8ohm Bass Cab

Specifications:
    • Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Power Handling (RMS): 400W
    • Power Handling (Peak): 800W
    • Sensitivity: 99 dB
    • Maximum SPL: 125 dB
    • Frequency Resp (-3dB): 45 Hz - 19 kHz
    • Woofers (Neodymium): 500W 8 ohm
    • Horn (P-Audio): 25W 8 ohm
    • Porting: Front-Ported
    • Weight: 18.14 KG
    • Dimensions: 59.69 x 49.53 x 46.99 cm

14. I did ask Sweetwater if it was an error. The answer from Sweetwater was, this is the rating that GK told them to advertise.

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I think I'd take that response with a pinch of salt... sounds like they took the wrong rating from the GK specs and can't be bothered to change their website.

17. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    It really doesn’t matter much. Those ratings are so general that anything within a few ballparks is close enough. Once a cabinet becomes a part of a rig, with a specific amp, with amp knobs at specific settings, in a specific room, with a specific bass and player, in a specific band, that’s when the limits become known. Until then, don’t sweat it.

18. In my experience Spec's on Basses, Amps and Cabinets on Retail Online Stores are prone to Errors [Different one Store to another]. I always confirm on Manufacture Website or Email Manufacture with noted discrepancies asking for clarity.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I play it safe and generally go with about half the cab's rating, but I'm also not in a position where every last decibel matters.

Wasnex, DJ Bebop and David McIntire like this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Interestingly even on the GK website it lists the cab as 500w but in the online manual says 400w... maybe it's not Sweetwater's fault after all!

21. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, “Peak” is mathematically based on 2x the RMS value. They are 2 different ways to describe exactly the same thing.

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021