Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by typeblu, Dec 10, 2003.

1. typeblu

Dec 8, 2003
    los angeles
    okay here it goes. say i bought a head say a ampeg b2r 350 watts @ 4 ohms. does that mean the amp puts out 350 watts x 4? so say 1400 watts if my math is correct? because i only need like 200-300 watts to power a small 210he ampeg cabinet. i dont understand this stereo and bi-amp and bridging and pre-amp and power amp stuff. im a total newb to equipment and i dont got money to waste on buying something accidental lol. i wanna understand this stuff before i get one.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wow, that's the wierdest logic I've ever heard. I think you should be nominated for newbie of the year award.

But to answer your question, ohms is a measurement of the impedence of something, in this case speakers. Most amps put out power at 8, 4, and occasionally 2 ohms. The lower the impedence you go, the more power is put out from the amp. Your B2R puts out 200 watts @ 8 ohms, and 350 watts @ 4 ohms. So with an ampeg 8 ohm 210 cabinet, it would be putting out 200 watts. If you added another 8 ohm cabinet, it would put the impedence to 4 ohms, and you would get the full 350 watts.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I second that ;)

Just to complete the above answer:
    And if you hook up one 4Ohm cab (e.g. a 410) the amp will also put out 350W.