Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by typeblu, Dec 10, 2003.

1. typeblu

typeblu

Dec 8, 2003
    los angeles
    okay here it goes. say i bought a head say a ampeg b2r 350 watts @ 4 ohms. does that mean the amp puts out 350 watts x 4? so say 1400 watts if my math is correct? because i only need like 200-300 watts to power a small 210he ampeg cabinet. i dont understand this stereo and bi-amp and bridging and pre-amp and power amp stuff. im a total newb to equipment and i dont got money to waste on buying something accidental lol. i wanna understand this stuff before i get one.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wow, that's the wierdest logic I've ever heard. I think you should be nominated for newbie of the year award.

But to answer your question, ohms is a measurement of the impedence of something, in this case speakers. Most amps put out power at 8, 4, and occasionally 2 ohms. The lower the impedence you go, the more power is put out from the amp. Your B2R puts out 200 watts @ 8 ohms, and 350 watts @ 4 ohms. So with an ampeg 8 ohm 210 cabinet, it would be putting out 200 watts. If you added another 8 ohm cabinet, it would put the impedence to 4 ohms, and you would get the full 350 watts.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I second that ;)

Just to complete the above answer:
    And if you hook up one 4Ohm cab (e.g. a 410) the amp will also put out 350W.

Matthias