Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watts and Ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deftone, May 10, 2001.

1. Deftone

Deftone

May 8, 2001
    On the back of my Crate 220 watt speaker head, there are two speaker outlets. One says 150 watts at 8 ohms, and the other says 220 watts at 4 ohms. Can anyone put this into layman's terms and what each setting would mean? Thanks a lot :) deftone

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It means that the one marked 8 ohms will put 150 watts into an 8 ohm load(one 8 ohm cabinet), and the one marked 4 ohms will put 220 watts into a 4 ohm load(1x4 ohm cab, or 2x8 ohm cabs).

3. There's no difference between the two jacks. The 160watts/8 ohms-220watts/4 ohms just tells you the overall output of the amp. The two jacks are undoubtedly just hooked up in parallel, so you can use one or both of them.

Mike

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike I wondered about that myself.

Never heard of a solid state amp having different taps for different loads like a tube amp, but I am by no means an expert.

5. embellisher,

Well, just to be sure, I checked the manuals online at the Crate site before replying. I didn't know what model he had, exactly, but the 220-watt heads (Flexwave?) matched the output specs but made no mention of different outputs. From the little bit I could see of the back panel arrangement, it seemed like the output labeling might accidentally line up with the two different output jacks, though.

Mike