watts and ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SkaTiM, Nov 2, 2002.

1. SkaTiM

Oct 18, 2002
    Carroll County, MD
    I just bought a Hartke HA3500, and made the mistake of not checking what cabinet I should match to it. I'm really ignorant about amps and speakers, and was wondering what size cabinet(s) I should get to match the 350 watts at 4 ohms or the 240 watts at 8 ohms. It has two speaker outputs, will that make a difference?

2. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Your amp has one single power stage, so the outputs don't really make a difference. You can connect either 2 cabs to the amp or chain one cab through the other. The second output is just handy if your cabs don't have a connector for a second one.

I recommend getting one 4 Ohm cab or two 8Ohm (=4 Ohm total) cabs, you'll get more volume than with a single 8 Ohm cab.
  3. SkaTiM

Oct 18, 2002
    Carroll County, MD
    alright, thanks. I have another question though.

If i got two 8Ohm cabs (total of 4Ohms drawing 350 watts from the amp) and each 8Ohm cab drew 150 would that equal 4Ohms drawing 300 watts? if so, would it work with the head?
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Actually, you'll be putting 175 watts to each 8ohm cab.
    Your head should work fine.
  5. Speakers don't "draw" power in the same way a light bulb does. Speaker "TAKE" what the amplifyer sends them. They are usually perfectly happy with whatever the amp sends as long as it too much or too distorted. Your 350 watt head isn't gonna send all its watts all the time. Just when you push it to that limit. My cab is rated at 400 watts and I push it with a 1000w amp. I never turn the amp up all that loud so the speakers are perfectly happy. If, however, I decided to really crank it up I'm sure I could really damage my cab. I've discovered a dirict relationship between blown speakers and beer drinking.