Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watts last show of the tour

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by seansbrew, Nov 21, 2004.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I caught Watts’s last show last night and it was a good one. Listening to the first band was a torturous affair, which made me even more anxious to see Watt. The second band was pretty good, they were called Vin Fizz and they had some pretty wild surfy, funky kind of stuff. Next came Watt and he put on an energetic powerful show. Watt was glad to be playing his last show of the tour, this was the 55th show. Anyway hope you all caught Watt when he came through your neighborhood; I look forward to next year.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

just back - actually, this was my 65th gig (in 66 days)! anyway, I've returned back to pedro safe and will try to catch up soon w/all the posts here. thanks much for checking me and my secondmen out (tour diary here: http://hootpage.com/hoot_elmarcuratododiary1.html)!

on bass, watt

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Wow what a trip, I meet Mike for the first time at the gig in AZ.( after listening to him for 19 years) and then here we are on talkbass two days later, the information highway is a trip.

4. benjamin

benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    Houston
    i was at the houston show, and oddly enough, i only heard the sound check (played red and black) and the first few songs... i didnt get to stay the whole show because my friend got wasted and started grabbing on every chick in the pad and i had to get him out of there. from what i saw... great show. i hope to catch you next time you come to houston.

5. bassguild

bassguild

Jun 27, 2003
    NYC
    i managed to catch both the NYC shows (bklyn,nyc) and was blown away as usual. the guys gave it their all each night and delivered the record straight to the gut. "this aint no picnic" was such a great surprise and the dylan cover ruled. of course talked to watt after the shows and he's the most gracious, generous person i think i have ever met. genuine, can't fake that ****.
    can't wait for them to come back, gonna miss the pixies show cause i gotta play that night but that's what its all about. keep thumpin' watt.

jason(twin)
    www.punyhuman.com

6. I already have three CD-R's and a DVD-R from this tour, and I got to witness it in Philly.

7. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Yeah bassguild, I saw the Brooklyn show and the band was really on fire. Interesting to read the band's perspective on the tour diaries page... apparently Pete (the organist) had a really rough time but Watt was flying. Funny that Pete wasn't feeling connected when I thought he sounded great. But I know how that can be.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey Mike, glad to see you didn't forget about us. ;)

I caught the show at the Grog Shop in Cleveland. Absolutely amazing, I really dug the setup/vibe of the whole Secondmen thing. Almost punk free jazz, which is cool by me. :D

Rest up Mike, I think you earned it.

9. watt

hi,

one of my favorite gigs of that tour, the brooklyn one. trippy how different the same show is to different cats on stage at the same time, huh? that's life. pete's great though and played like a champ the whole tour.

what's sad is he can't tour any more so the next one (this april/may in europe) will be w/paul roessler taking his place. raul morales will still be on drums. trippy that the secondmen are now the secondstringmen... still, I'm very lucky to have great cats to play along side - much respect to them. I think that's something all us bass players can appreciate, having a happening team.

on bass, watt

10. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Pete can't tour any more?? bummer. I saw the last two tours and loved him on both. Especially when he sang Madonna :D

11. minute70

minute70

Jan 27, 2005
    Italy,Florence
    Hi,I'm writing here just to say that i saw a show in Florence,Italy in 1996 (or 97,i don't remember).It was great!
    I remeber that he played with his white moon jj-4, the guitarist was Joe Baiza (i'm not sure)......incredible sound,incredible energy.
    Thank you,and i hope see you and the band again,maybe in Italy.
    Ciao!

12. watt

hi,

you're right, joe baiza on guitar and bob lee on drums for the "...engine room" opera. it'll be my first time back this april/may since then, for my "the secondman's middle stand" piece. hopefully I'll see you soon!

on bass, watt