watts needed to compete with a 350watt guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Oct 24, 2005.

1. my band are looking at getting proper amp and cab stacks going.

my guitarist has his heart set on a marshal mode four head, which is a solid state 350watts.

i was looking at a bass amp that was 300 watts, which was valve preamp, and SS amp. i'm thinknng it might not be enough.
    because i'v heard that you need a much more powerful bass amp then the guitar amp.

so what kinda wattage should i be looking at to compete with 350 watts guitar amp? i just need a rough idea

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    350W is completely ridiculous for a guitarist, unless you're playing stadiums and even then the FOH should be doing the work. Might I suggest you find another guitarist to play with who gives a damn about hearing loss? :)

But to answer the question .. I'd be guessing you need anywhere between 1000W and 3000W to 'compete', volume wise - AND a couple of cabs. Oh, and get some earplugs - you're gonna need them!!!
  3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Don't concern yourself with what the guitar player is going to be using, but rather the sound you want to project. No matter how much power he has, everyone needs to blend and if he truly has 350watts, it's hard to imagine his amp getting turned up much. :eyebrow:

That said, get as much power as you can afford to pay for - headroom is a wonderful thing for bass! :cool:
  4. haha yeah, i'm trying to convince him to look at a 100 watt marshall valve amp instead, but he seems so hooked on the mode four :rolleyes:

he likes to buy with his eyes, not his ears!

so would a 300 watt bass amp be fine to back up a 100 watt guitar amp?
  5. 300 watt should be alright for 100 watt guitar amp though i would probably go for an amp with around 500watts of power for extra headroom.
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    How much do you have to spend?
  7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

If he gets a 100 watt half stack you guys can play anywhere. Back in the 1960's when there was no pa backup 100 watts might not have been enough for concerts, but it'll do anything necessary nowdays, and I'd be happy with 25 watts, as long as I'm miked up! :smug:

From the sound of things you should have at least 300 watts, but again, you'd be best off buying as much power as you can get your hands on.

There's lots of guys out there doing quiet gigs who won't go with anything other than their 1200 watt WWU or their 600 watt AI Focus.
    I think you want at least 500 watts, but let's see what everyone else thinks... :bassist: