Watts needed when playing bass in stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crdeppe, Nov 19, 2004.

1. crdeppe

crdeppe Guest

Nov 19, 2004
    Does anyone have an opinion / experience as to playing a bass using a stereo setup (Rickenbacker 4001 in my case), specifically as to what kind of power is needed? For instance, while many people feel that an Ampeg V-4BH is underpowered, would that combined with another amp (say a 200-300 watt transistor amp), each one driving a pickup, more than make up the difference?

This would make the V-4BH an attractive amp to have for practice and small gigs, and add the other setup for larger venues.
  2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    You have a strange situation facing you. This, because not many people even realize stereo bass exists. I think though, the senario you have decribed already, will work for most applications (bars, small venues) etc...I have a video clip of the Almighty - Joey Demaio, (early bass tech for Sabbath) who throws the low for Man-O-War, playing your bass model while stereo. It was on a Nickelodeon special in approx. 1983. He was playing the studio set with (smaller than stadium sized amps) while in stereo mode and it sounded fantastic. But, then again, all Joey's stuff is ripping!!!!!!Anyway, enough clatter. Try what you have already described. I bet it will work great for you and if you want to hear some of the Rickenbacher's stereo madness capabilities, locate early Man-O-War CD's. Then turn them up high, sit back and soak in the incredible Rick tones from Joey. :bassist:
  3. i´m doing some of that "stereo-stuff" and one of the amps is a V4BH.
    the other amp is a 200w solidstate and it works ok as long as both cabs are of equal size. but it depends how u are going to use it.

for instance, if u use the V4 for dark and fat lowend and a solid-state for more definition and hi-end it should work with a 100-200w amp and a not so loud but pretty portable rig.

using the V4 cranked up LOUD for midrangey distortion on the other hand would put the other amp in the 500w range(believe me i´ve tried). or using a small cab for the V4.