Watts ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 14, 2004.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Need a new amp......PLaying with a loud drummer. 200 watts enough?? 300 watts???? We reherse at performance volume (unfortunately) so this amp will take on double duty
  2. I use a 250 watt 1x15 combo and its is fine as I also have an animal of a drummer and two guitarists using 150 watt marshalls each. Get the most power you can afford and be sure to try before you buy!
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    What's the overall mix of the band, other then loud drummer? What kind of music do you play and what actually do you consider performance volume? What kind of a set up are you running now? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want a combo amp or a head/ cab set up? The more information you offer us the more we can offer you. ;)
  4. 200 to 300 watts would work if it was all tube, otherwise 500 watts and up for solid state.
  5. My drummer is the loudest thing I've ever heard. I use a Rogue 200 watt solid state head through a harkte 4x10 cab, and its plenty loud enough. I have to turn it about half way up for performance volume, which is also what we practice at.
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I agree. Also, you can move more air with more speakers, so 2 4x10s would be nice. I'd say you'd be happy for AWHILE with a 350W head.

I fully support the Hartke3500 & Hartke VX410 gear, an entire thread about them is in my signature :D
  7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    a lot of it depends on your sound... if you like lots of deep reggae style bass and use low B's & C's etc, you'll need far more watts than if you're using a wiry, clanky, hi-mid-packed sound

you can get huge power for a reasonable cost if you go with a power amp/preamp rack setup... you can scale your power up at a later stage while keeping your sound, and upgrade a bit at a time if money's tight
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Deciding on power is meaningless until you've picked a cabinet.

The bigger the cab and the more speakers in it, the less power you'll need in general and vice versa.

If you use compression all the time you can get by with less power than if you don't.
  9. I've got to point out that the Amp forum is jam-packed with posts asking how much wattage you need, so I do suggest you use the search function.

I know that's not helpful, but for the record I play with an incredibly powerful drummer and 2 loud guitarists and my 300watt 1x15 and 2x10 just about cut through.

Bear in mind that the 200watt 8x10 rig I use at the studio produces almost twice the (perceived) volume as my 300watt 1x15 and 2x10 because it has double the cone area with more efficient drivers.