Wawick Truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grooveguru, Nov 22, 2000.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Will adjusting the truss rod help to lower my action on my Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-On? I've lowered the action but my E string is still high on the end of the fret board. I don't think I want to adjust the Just-A-Nut.

I recently played a new MM Sterling and the action on it was extremely low all the way up the neck. This was straight from the factory!

Any ideas fellow Warwick owners????

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

grooveguru: The truss rod adjustment really is not an action adjustment. Everything else being equal, you will see very little difference in the action between a straight neck and a neck that has normal relief adjusted in. The most change you could possibly see would the amount of
    relief added to the string height. This is only around .015 normally.

The relief is introduced into the neck for only two reasons. #1 to eliminate backbow in the neck. #2 to eliminate fret buzz on the first few frets from the nut. That's all!

If you are doing a set-up to lower the action, first lower the action by bridge adjustments untill the the string height is where you want it. At this point don't concern yourself with buzzes. When the string height is where you want it, check for buzzes. If there are buzzes when fretted at the nut end of the neck, the truss rod will need to be loosened which allows string tension to bow the neck thereby increasing the relief. If it buzzes at the bridge end of the fingerboard, the bridge height will need to be raised slightly. You may need to go back and slightly touch up any of the adjustments as you get closer to the set-up that you want.

You may want to keep in mind that if you set everything up for the absolute lowest action that any negative temp and humidity effects may bring on buzz problems. That is very easy to correct with only bridge adjustment though.

It goes without saying that one must maintain standard tuning through the whole procedure.

The absolute measurement of neck relief is meaningless. The amount of relief that is correct is the amount is the amount of relief that will allow the instrument to be set up succesfully.

After the neck relief has been properly set it wont need constant adjustment. If you use a very low action, it may need a cold weather or hot weather tweaking of the truss rod as the seasons change.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by pkr2 on 11-22-2000 at 12:42 PM]
  3. The truss-rod adjusts the neck-relief. The action is changed by a combination of the nut, the saddle-height and the neck relief, so tweaking the truss-rod by itself may or may not fix your problem.

(re-reads your post) - tweaking the truss-rod will affect all the strings (not just the E).

If you have any doubts, have a good bass-tech set it up for you.

Oh, by the way, Warwick have used a number of different types of truss-rods over the years, and depending on the age of your Warwick, and whether or not the truss-rod has been inserted updside down (yes, some of them will work either way!!), you might be surprised by what happens when adjust it.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on so long. Here's a link to the official Warwick user-manual.

You might need Adobe Acrobat to read the pdf file, but it tells you all about the taking care and feeding of Warwick basses.

Hope this helps -

- Wil