Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wax finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DHclaflin, Mar 25, 2005.

1. DHclaflin

DHclaflin

Apr 12, 2004
    Hey guys,
    I have a product called "Howard's Feed-n-Wax" that is a combination of beeswax, carnauba wax and orange oil. Is it advisable to use use this as a finish over Danish Oil instead of buying pure beeswax or paste wax online (no stores in the area carry anything but Howard's)? It's the orange oil that scares me, but I don't know if it will really affect the finish. Have any advise?
    Thanks for the help

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've used it on my old Warwicks, oil finish basses I've made, and on the fingerboard of pretty much every instrument I've built or owned.

3. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Wax is not a finish in the sense that it does not provide a long term barrier to moisture. It's purpose is to clean and to temporarily shine, hide scratches, and lower surface tension. Paste waxes contain solvents like mineral spirits that keep the paste soft enough to apply and help desolve the dirt, grime, and any old wax on the bass. The orange oil would fall into the same category as mineral spirits. It would not act as a solvent for a cured "Danish oil" finish (an oil/varnish mixture). I haven't used the product you mention, but I would not be put off by the list of ingredients you gave.

Note that the amount of actual orange oil in it is probably miniscule. Unless you see the price of this product fluctuate every time there is a hard freeze in Florida, you can bet the amount is close to zero. (Which is the amount of "lemon oil" in polishes of the same name.)