Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wax on, Wax off... What's your method re: Warwicks and other rub finishes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Feb 13, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I use the bees wax stuff by warwick on my thumb. There are these klenex (sp?) paper towels that are really thick and soft, and that leave no lint, these really work for me. I have heard some people use their fingers to apply the wax... what's your method???

I'd love for my bass to really shine although it's an oil finish. Are there other products that work better than the bees wax stuff, but are still as "healthy" for the wood?

2. I use the Warwick wax on my Warr Artisan.

I usually apply with a nice clean piece of cotton jersey (t-shirt material) leave for a few minutes to seep in and then buff off with another piece of jersey.

Doesn't the Warwick wax smell good !!??

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ummm, I'm kinda undecided, sometimes it's good, sometimes it smells like barf.... ya know..... I wonder if you could mix some chapstick stuff in to make it smell even better??????? like cherry!

ok maybe a bad idea.... but?????

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    bump-
    what nobody waxes their axes?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I do it exactly the same way. That reminds me, I need to sand away some nicks again...

6. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Same way as Nick!

I would expect everyone does it about the same.

I too love the smell of the Warwick wax.

Do you also put it on the fret board or use another product for that?

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i use the warwick wax on my infinity sn. i use the kleenex paper towels, their called viva. and they are damn exquisite. but i use the same method everyone else uses.

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    !!!!!! :confused: !!!!!!!! NOOO, do you??????

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Viva!!!!! You are the winner!!!!!!!

how's that there Infin SN???

10. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    No but I swore I saw a DVD with a tech backstage applying what looked like wax to the fret board of a thumb.

I usually wipe it down with a fast fret stick and wipe it clean.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have to say the infinity is amazing. one of the best basses ive ever played. great sound and feel. the only thing i dont like is the heel cut where the strap is. makes it kind of uncomfortable. otherwise its killer.

12. Butcher's wax, also known as bowling alley wax, was suggested to me by Mike Tobias, and it works quite well. It takes a few light coats over time before a bass really feels and looks it's best.

I avoid waxing the back of the neck, which gets enough wax carried over on regular soft cleaning cloths.

I use stringfellows fretboard oil for dark fretboards, though Mike T. recommends Dunlop fret oil, which I can never find.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That wasnt wax - or that wasnt a qualified tech... :eek: :D
    There are fret oils for that or other oils - like lemon oil. They can be used on dark boards, but NEVER use it on maple.

14. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
  15. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    I have a Thumb 5. I wax the body with Warwick wax and rub the back of the neck and fingerboard with a very high grade boiled linseed oil. I do this every 1 -2 months depending on how much playing I do on this instrument. It shares duty with a Fender Jazz, a Cirrus 6, and a Cort Fretless. I love em all.

My father builds classical guitars and wants me to use boiled linseed oil on the body as well, but I havent worked up the courage. Some deep fear about the oil seeping in and making the tone deeper.

Any thoughts?

16. I use butchers bowling alley wax on my FBB and my Peavey. If there is a gritty feel to the bass i gently go over the gritty area with some #0000 fine steel wool being sure to mask off the pickup areas. When i'm done with the steel wool, i brush it off with a tack cloth then i do the wax job using a foam applicator sponge similar to a car wax applicator to apply the wax. i let it sit a few minutes then buff it off with a clean soft terry cloth towel.
    For the fretboard i have been turned on to this stuff Gard at bass central showed me called "Lizard Spit" which is a fretboard conditioner/cleaner that i rub on using only a couple small drops on a small towel. I rub it in good to clean the board, let it sit about 10 minutes then i wipe it down with another clean towel and that stuff really makes the fretboard look great and the grain pops up at you. Its really excellent stuff. As far as i know you can only buy it from Bass central as it is made by some guy in Florida.