1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wax, polish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowDan, Dec 26, 2006.

1. LowDan

LowDan

Nov 6, 2006
    Hey,
    I Got a G/C Gift Card yestorday.
    Whats Everyone useing As far As wax/ Polish ?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It highly depends on your bass.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I agree with xgabriel. Plus, there is a difference between wax and polish. Some brands say polish on them but there is a wax in them. Other brands, like Dunlop, have seperate bottles for wax and polish.

So, in the end, do you want to clean your bass or add a coat of wax? I never add a coat of wax.....I just want to clean it once in a blue moon. In that case, I just spray some Dunlop 65 polish on the rag, not the bass.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Carnuba

5. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    Kysers' Dr. Stringfellow Lem-oil, for rosewood fretboards

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Definitely +1 for Meguiars for wax, and +1 Dunlop 65 for polishing.

NEVER wax a natural wood finished bass. Clean it, and oil it. Wax should ONLY be used on a painted finish.

7. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
  8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1.

I use Meguire's to polish my gloss-finish basses, and there's a rough cut Meguire's I use to buff out minor scratches. I got that advice from several luthiers, and it works like a charm. Just use the polish after the rough cut.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On my Warwick and Spector I used Boston's Bowling Alley Paste Wax as recommended.

On my poly finishes I use Dunlop 65.

10. thumbin

thumbin

Dec 20, 2006
    Oregon City, OR
    linseed oil on my warwick thumb :) and alot of elbow grease...

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Then why Warwick ships his natural finished basses with a can of wax?
    And Ernie Ball also uses wax on unfinished necks.
    Some brands of wax are for shining porpuses and some others are for maintenance porpuses.
    I use Minwax finishing wax.

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

Oooooooh.... I've heard that at a car show this summer... totally forgot about it. I'll hit the store tomorrow. I've got some minor marks I'd like to get out.

13. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Lemon Fresh Pledge. When we're not out of the stuff. Like now.

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

Then those guys use a lot of grain filler to eliminate all the miniscule pores. I'd be looking for wax residue building up little pink or grey spots in the surface if the wood wasn't absolutely smooth and pore-free. That's why I'd use natural oil for a non-glossy finish. I wouldn't want a wax to give a satin or flat finish any shine, I'd want that for a gloss-coat.

But what do I know, I'm just a bass player! :D

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Meguiar's makes an instrument care kit for Fender.

[​IMG]

16. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Zymol is the cat's pajamas for gloss finishes. But it's crazy expensive. I usually just clean the finishes on the basses I painted and occasionally give them a fresh final rub out with 12,000 grit micromesh.

17. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What a bunch of girlie men. Nothin' but blood, sweat and tears on my bass! :D

18. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    When I had my Dingwall, I used (per Sheldon) neutral Kiwi shoe polish on the back of the maple neck. Just a small amount, mind you, and then I followed up with some carnauba to make it a little more slippery. I used Formby's on the fretboard (but I've heard teak oil is the best stuff - haven't gotten any yet tho) and then Eagle One's Nano wax on the body.

19. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Do give it a wash once in a while, though. The crud in all blood makes a thick crust and the salt and oils in the sweat and tears give it the consistency of filthy wax. I've worked on a few basses whose owners felt very pleased that they were "relic'ing-in" so well - but after the instrument got a basic wipe down, it turned out that the "wear" they were so impressed about was nothing but schmutz and dirt. ;)

20. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Careful what you put on the board, cause anything that has additives will rub off on your strings, causing them to go dead and gathering dirt and crap on the board. Teak oil isn't bad, but lemon oil is better. Not lemon oil furniture polish or even lemon oil bottled specially for furniture - real lemon oil from a gourmet food store. All the rest have waxes and other crap you don't want on your board. Good lemon oil is very light (light water), soaks in fast and dries fast.